Constant issues with sync and saves

TessaG

Idea

Hello,

I have already posted several tickets about these issues, and they can only be temporarily or partially solved. So out of desperation I'm posting  here as well in the hopes someone has a solution or a workaround to these problems...

First of all: Evernote (Windows 11) doesn't seem to sync with my phone (Galaxy). When I remove files or edit them on my PC they don't update on my phone.

Also: Files constantly revert back to an old save, sometimes even days back. I can recover other saves of course, but even then the notes (a list of taks) are mixed up, I'm not sure if this is an actual mixup or a save in the middle of some edits (and not upon closing the file) but it's a serious headace. I lost a full year of planning ahead, missed an important appointment because it was missing from my list, and I tried to redo a full year of planning 3 times now and every time again everything was erased and/or mixed up. 

I'm really losing my trust in evernote, is there any news on when this issue will be fixed? I'm considering moving to another service because I can simply not afford to miss out on doing tasks or attending to appointments.

Desperately hoping for some news here...

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

No device syncs with any other device.

Sync is always device - server. To get a note synced, it needs to go from the "active" device to the server (up sync), from the server to all other devices (down sync). This happens in real time now, but it still syncs using the server.

To check what's going on you need to check on the server.

Easy if you are on a subscription - just log into the web client. Difficult on Free - the web client counts as another device. To check the syncing process, you exceed the device limit. When it is not clear if the problem happens in the up-sync or the down-sync, troubleshooting is nearly impossible.

There were some hints in the forum what may affect syncing. Among it are problems with the internet connection, and low local storage on an device.

• Level 5*

They are working through bugs with the real time editor - new sync, which seems to be particularly bad with notes that have tasks.  I’ve also lost data, but not to the extent that you have.  10.59 is in the process of rolling out. Hopefully that will provide a fix or at least a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

PinkElephant, yea I know it works that way, I forgot to mention, sorry about that. It's not clear though where it goes wrong, I had contact with support and sent in logs, got feedback on how to recover old versions, and after some time figured that things looked right, but were in fact completely messed up. Today I noticed the syncing-issue on my phone after editing on my PC. I'll check out the web-version and see if I can find what you're talking about. Thank you!

Sailor, thank you as well, so if I get this right, I should be receiving an update within a week or so? Would you risk making notes without tasks but with a bunch of notes as a temporary solution?

Thanks again!

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, TessaG said:

Sailor, thank you as well, so if I get this right, I should be receiving an update within a week or so? Would you risk making notes without tasks but with a bunch of notes as a temporary solution?

If you check for updates within the software you should see something within a week, or you can go to the Evernote download page.  The new version may be there now.  I haven’t checked today.

I’m still using tasks but putting one each in its own note for the time being (for the most part).  I seemed to have the most trouble with multiple tasks in a single note.  I also double check them after they are entered.

• Like 1

Thank you, much appreciated. I just checked and there are no updates so far.

Yea sadly I'm talking about roughly 2k of tasks which are ever expanding and changing, so saving them 1 by 1 won't work. I'll temporarily work with a week planner and well, fingers crossed that won't get erased.

• Level 5

Since I don't have the problem, this is from observation, not from experience:

• Even when it goes contrary to a seamless syncing, I would currently avoid to have more than 1 client open at any time. Work on the desktop - close mobile first, and vice versa.
  • It may help to take the desktop offline before editing - then take it back online after the editing is done.
  • Try to use the web client instead of the desktop for a while ?