Tail clipping - most recent sentences disappear

Notwithstanding update to 10.58.5:  still having occasional "tail clipping" incidents.  Win11/desktop.

Details:  working fast - switching between notes & between apps - return to "daylog" textual note (template based note with frequent annotations to numbered-list formatted text) in EN to find most recent sentences vanished or truncated. 

/tmm

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Schooner said:

template based note with frequent annotations to numbered-list formatted text

? Maybe keep that note in a document file? (Libre Office / Word / Excel / Notepad...  whatever) so it saves to your local drive.  Attach the file to your note to access it elsewhere,  but re-open it in the local app again to add / edit content.  Don't know how fast Evernote syncs now,  but if you're zipping from one app to another and making notes along the way,  seems to me you may be pushing sync close to the available edge of your network connection... 

Doing that with critical spreadsheets:  EN archives MSXL but frequent opening/editing has been a devastating data-loss issue.

But a constantly-edited "daylog" is mission critical for me, has been the fundamental purpose of EN in my workflow for 10 years.

Is it a bug... or have we lost our way?  The great Libin principle was the elephant - never forgets.  Everything else was a slowly evolving random-walk down Feature Avenue.  If EN has become something that sometimes or frequently forgets, it's finished - now that we're in the world of OneDrive et al EN risks being demoted to a webclip scrapbook.

One could be forgiven for comparing it to a submarine with titanium end bells... enclosing a carbon fiber tube.  Flickering lights are tolerable, but hull breach is terminal.  EN can survive slowly debugging flaky tables or formatting - but data loss is catastrophic, fatal, terminal, game over.  I hope the team is working on nothing else whatsoever, and working so passionately as the Three Mile Island response team:  an amnesiac elephant is worse than useless, it is a looming inestimable liability.

/tmm

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Schooner said:

Is it a bug... or have we lost our way?

Considering that this issue seems only to have affected you,  I don't think either applies;  and I'm pretty sure that Evernote is not working on any fixes unless they have more Support requests we don't know about.  We're mainly other users here - I'd suggest you contact Evernote to get some direct feedback.

Subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and all users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or via the feedback option where it is available). 

It isn't happening only to me.  Search "data loss" - 6 pages of posts - and comments thereto bring things up to current version/time..

Quoting a recent reply to a similar issue from Gregg-CBS I believe:

"it’s 2023 and your note saving app is not doing the one thing it needs to be doing properly - saving notes - this is a massive fail."

As for support requests - they have mine.  And, I see, from others.

/tmm

On 6/24/2023 at 4:08 AM, gazumped said:

Considering that this issue seems only to have affected you,  I don't think either applies;  and I'm pretty sure that Evernote is not working on any fixes unless they have more Support requests we don't know about.  We're mainly other users here - I'd suggest you contact Evernote to get some direct feedback.

It's not just affecting one person. It's happened to me a few times now, including with the newest version. I've also seen numerous threads referring to content loss.

There is no doubt they're working on it, but it's disconcerting. To this point, as far as I know, I haven't lost much other than time, but this isn't a missing Legacy feature or an annoyance. Note integrity is critical. If it happens just enough times to feel like you can't trust the software...well...

I know you have been using EN for a long time and so have I; do you ever recall losing content? Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I don't ever recall it.

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, gsmith58v3 said:

do you ever recall losing content?

No.  There were a few recent situations where I set up a note and had some text blink out after I typed it,  but I put those down to work being done on sync.  Since it was happening in front of my eyes it was easily correctable.  I've had a few notes come up with icons where images or files used to be - but they're fixable with Note History.  Absolute loss of notes that I created and now do not have - no.

Having said which I keep an ongoing ENEX backup of my account 'just in case' - as a perceptive biking user pointed out... just like wearing a crash helmet;  you never expect to need it,  but it's better to have and not need a backup,  then to need and not have.

I'd strongly recommend that you contact Support with any issues if you can - something could be affecting a small number of users that they'll never know about unless they get told,  and your logs might contain the clues they need.

Of course I've contacted support, with logs & details.

Summary:  they direct me to delete app, delete user data, reinstall after first saving all unsync'd notes as ENEX.  How that relates to tail-clipping issue is not instantly obvious.  In any case, I don't see how to identify unsync'd notes, if any.  I have 35,000 notes in total.  Pointed that out - reply is "sorry...".

Additionally, the "upgrade" from legacy nearly gave me a stroke:  my most crucial attachments (PDFs & MSXL files) were destroyed, now display as unopenable icons only.  I don't need a repeat.  Certain among the destroyed documents "disappeared" upon initial opening/editing/resaving, leading me to suspect a corrupted "reformatting" exercise was interrupted by attempted save.

I'm not inclined to experiment here.  Deployed Backupery, now will let it fester until a few versions forward, see if the issue goes away..

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Schooner said:

How that relates to tail-clipping issue is not instantly obvious.  <edited...>  I have 35,000 notes in total.

Basic support tech.  Make sure all the simple and obvious (even if not apparently related) fixes are tried before getting inventive.  Plus:  I already did that  with 62,000 notes.  Took about an hour to get back up and running.

my most crucial attachments (PDFs & MSXL files) were destroyed

Most likely the files lost their extension for some reason.  Renaming or Note History will fix that - or any other corruption.

will let it fester until a few versions forward, see if the issue goes away..

You may be lucky,  but if everyone decides to let Support figure things out on their own,  they can't do anything unless / until it happens to someone in-house.

- - - - 

- I'm using Win 11 + EN 58.8.8 reasonably happily.  There are work-arounds for any glitches I found,  and I'm not (AFAIK + cross-fingers) losing data to any unknown bugs.

PS Unsynced notes are hard to identify in the desktop app - compare the total notes figure between web (or legacy/ other devices) and desktop to see if there may be a problem.  Legacy will also show a red "!" on the sync icon when it registers issues.

Update:  followed wipeout/reload instructions assuming zero unsync'd notes - don't have time to futz around identifying rare sync conflicts etc.

Tail clipping:  not solved.  Have established that it has nothing to do with my templates - occurred this morning with a fresh text-only note.  

Related issue?  New-note fails - also not resolved.  Click new-note, get lockup with a green circle spinning for 60-75 sec then *gone* no new note.  Next attempt usually works.

I've noticed both above issues seem to occur most frequently shortly after startup.

I suspect the attachment-destruction issue is resolved in 10.58.8 - all such instances trace to the version I had the misfortune to install, doesn't seem to be recurring with 10.58.8.  Recovery:  PDFs - note history.  XLSMs - likewise, but recent (frequently edited) data lost.   For now, I've moved editable documents out of EN.