(Archived) OCR Desktop vs. web

I found it interesting that an ink note from my mobile device is properly indexed when I search for the text within the note via the Evernote website, but NOT through the Desktop version... "anniversary" is not searched on the desktop.

Are the OCR engines different?

The engines should be the same ... in fact, if you made the handwritten ink note on your Pocket PC, then the text was probably recognized on the service and then synched down to the desktop client for searching there. I.e. if you're correct about this behavior, it sounds more like a bug.

I assume you're using the Windows desktop?

The engines should be the same ... in fact, if you made the handwritten ink note on your Pocket PC, then the text was probably recognized on the service and then synched down to the desktop client for searching there. I.e. if you're correct about this behavior, it sounds more like a bug.

I assume you're using the Windows desktop?

That is correct, I am using the Windows desktop.

I've just updated to version 3.0.0.582 and the OCR is a mess!

Typing "mom" on my desktop highlights the following text from high-res screen captures:

2570ms

8600m

shore blvd.

2130_

The word "cow" gets these highlighted - once again from screenshots:

our

command

CTRL+ALT+FN

bowl

I can go on and on... the point is something just broke with the latest release :shock:

FYI: the same false hits are also showing up on Evernote web :?

Our image recognition isn't OCR, in the sense that it isn't just looking for a single exact match, but rather a set of weighted possibilities that may be useful for searching. This is more appropriate for imprecise images (from cameras, etc.). This means that you will see some "false positive" matches, but should get better results finding things you're looking for.

If you have a particular example of problems (or two), feel free to submit those here, or put them in a public notebook

Thakns

Archived