Feature Request - Subtle addition to Checkboxes

Hi Evernote, 

The current checkbox (Green Rounded Corner Square) present a 'X' (Cross) when you check it as complete. As a long term user I would like to able to chose a 'Tick' icon so that it is in line with more positive connotations and aligns with more traditional completing of lists.

I note that Tasks are available with a tick, but as this stands today task lists are clunky, cannot bold words within it, they are too far spaced apart and are not very aesthetically pleasing as the check box list (which are clear , normally spaced and you can number each line)

It you can get this on your feature list for your next sprint as a quick win that would be very helpful

Thank you so much

J1933485295_Screenshot2023-01-09112739.png.b9326f8df89b287cea7760838de8dca2.png

25 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I don't think that is correct:

I think they are talking about the purple tasks where you can bold text in them, but OP doesn't mention checklists at all (like you showed them) which is odd... maybe they don't know about them?

8 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

I think they are talking about the purple tasks where you can bold text in them, but OP doesn't mention checklists at all (like you showed them) which is odd... maybe they don't know about them?

You're right, thanks for pointing that out. I should really learn to read things more carefully!

• 3 months later...
On 1/9/2023 at 8:05 AM, Boot17 said:

Like the OP, I know about "checklists" but I don't like using "checklists" but every checklist has a weird indent that I can't get rid of.

So I prefer to use "checkbox" which can sit flush on the left margin, but like OP said, Evernote designs "checkbox" with an "x" and there is no keyboard shortcut for "checkbox" so it's a bit hard to use.

10 minutes ago, EvernoteConnoisseur said:

Like the OP, I know about "checklists" but I don't like using "checklists" but every checklist has a weird indent that I can't get rid of.

So I prefer to use "checkbox" which can sit flush on the left margin, but like OP said, Evernote designs "checkbox" with an "x" and there is no keyboard shortcut for "checkbox" so it's a bit hard to use.

The only reliable way of using checkboxes is to ensure they are not at the beginning of the line, otherwise EN will convert them to checklists. While there is no keyboard shortcut for checkboxes if it's not at the beginning of the line you can just type:

[] or [x]

I normally use a period before typing the square brackets

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Mike P thanks for explaining this limitation. Based on your feedback, I was able to create a "Trigger" in BetterTouchTool, assigned to a keyboard shortcut with nine action steps to add a "checkbox" at the beginning of a new line without having to menu-dive or typing out manually using period and [] or [x].

For those who are interested, here is a 9-step sequence in BTT that you can use so you can assign any keyboard shortcut to create a "checkbox."

image.png.c71a8e72b5ab41a0042fa20ca97a65f7.png

• Like 1