Note Area Is Suddenly Scrunched

Go to solution Solved by arose10,

Please see the attached screenshot, and how there's suddenly all this blank space on the right.

This seemed to happen soon after I updated to macOS Ventura, so it could have something to do with that, but not sure.

In any case, how do I fix this?  It basically makes Evernote unusable.

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 1.42.31 AM.png

• Level 5

You use the legacy version, deprecated and unsupported since 2020.

The large space was caused by MacOS upgrading to Ventura.

The only solution is to switch to the current EN client. You can download it from the EN website - or get it from the AppStore (my favorite is the direct download).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

You use the legacy version, deprecated and unsupported since 2020.

The large space was caused by MacOS upgrading to Ventura.

The only solution is to switch to the current EN client. You can download it from the EN website - or get it from the AppStore (my favorite is the direct download).

Is it weird that it worked fine for almost three years and now suddenly breaks?  I'd prefer not to upgrade and have to change my workflows.

• Level 5

Ventura caused the change - this is nothing not to expect with a piece of old code.

From my experience there is not much of a difference for workflows with the new version, with a few exceptions (no scripting, weaker printing, tag management not supported as good).

It just takes a little learning, and maybe a tweak here and there.

On the other hand especially Mac users gain with the new version. Beside general improvements like tasks, we finally got nested tags on iOS as well, plus import folders on the desktop.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Ventura caused the change - this is nothing not to expect with a piece of old code.

From my experience there is not much of a difference for workflows with the new version, with a few exceptions (no scripting, weaker printing, tag management not supported as good).

It just takes a little learning, and maybe a tweak here and there.

On the other hand especially Mac users gain with the new version. Beside general improvements like tasks, we finally got nested tags on iOS as well, plus import folders on the desktop.

Yeah, tag management is essential to my workflow.  I have probably over 1,000 tags, many of them nested multiple levels deep.  I would be screwed if this no longer works the same.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The tag management works, just the overview page is missing.

You can issue a support ticket requesting a similar page implemented in v10.

I see.  But what do you mean by the overview page?

• Level 5

There is one page in legacy where all tags show in several columns, side by side, including their usage in a number. Good to have an overview, and maybe weed some less used tags out.

This page does not exist in v10 -  the tag overview is one long page you need to scroll. It is usable and works - but it is not as efficient.

• Like 1
  • Solution
15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

P.S. From another thread: you can try to shrink and again expand the left panel - 2x „opt-cmd-S“ . It may bring the full width back. Could try yet, since I am traveling at the moment, iPad only.

Yes!  I was just coming back here to post exactly this.  I did "View > Hide Sidebar" followed by "View > Show Sidebar", and it seemed to resolve this issue, knock on wood.

Only issue is that it seems I have to do this each and every time I use Evernote.  That is, each time I reopen Evernote, the note area is scrunched again.

Edited by arose10
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice trick with sidebar... For the keyboard shortcut lovers, Command-Option-S twice.... Great for the people (like me) that think v10 is still a toy and adds nothing they find useful to their experience and that a real local desktop app (with Internet sync) is better that a web app with an offline mode. I've lived with this niggle because my only Ventura OS is a MacBook Air that my employer owns. The bug doesn't affect smaller EN windows as much.

• Like 1