Manually back up Windows 10.46.7?

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

I've just migrated from Legacy to the Windows 10.46.7 platform with 9200+ notes.  I'm used to manually backing up the Evernote database in Legacy to .enex files and an .exb file in C:/Users/[name]/Evernote/Datebases.  (I have one master notebook and organize by tags.)

I see that the Windows version is automatically backing up to the .exb file.  Should I continue to back up to .enex files and, if so, how?  The Windows version lacks "All Notes" in the sidebar where I would start my .enex backup in Legacy.  I still have Legacy and suppose I could continue to use that if necessary, so long as it's around.  Many thanks.

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution

@steveo2q Thanks for your note.  As you realise v10 of Evernote stores data in an entirely different way.  Sync to the cloud is more or less instant. v10 does not create a .EXB file.  If you still have one on your PC it is left over from the Legacy version.  If you still have Legacy installed then it will sync on its normal cycle and update from the cloud.  In that situation you will have two separate copies of Evernote running.  This isn't a problem provided you work in one at a time.

So no EXB to backup with v10.  The Legacy version offered the option to exporet a whole account backup as as ENEX file. However that has always come with one major drawback. ENEX files do not keep the notebook structure. So if you used it to restore you would get all your notes in one large notebook.

So the best practice method of bhacking up was always to export each notebook to its own ENEX.  This same function exists in v10. Open a notebook. At the top of the snippet view column tap the ... three dot menu and select Export Notebook. Slightly quicker if you have multiple notebooks is to open the notebook view and, again, select the three dot menu by each notebook and export.  You end up with an ENEX file for each notebook which can be restored as you desire to an appropriately named notebook.

If you want to automate this process there are a number of third party applications.  I use a Github project called evernote-backup.  Search the forums for what others are doing.

Of course you can simply backup the Evernote v10 directories using a standard Windows backup program.  In that case you will want to have %AppData%\Evernote backed up.  This is the data directory for v10.

• Thanks 1

agsteele, I really appreciate your time in getting back this well structured answer to my question. Helps a lot.  

Something's keeping my .exb file current, and I'll accept your explanation that my still installed Legacy file is updating .exb from the closud.

If Evernote Windows (which I now know as v10) is backing up to the cloud, my next research project will be to find out how to backup from the cloud.  Thanks again.

• Evernote Expert
59 minutes ago, steveo2q said:

If Evernote Windows (which I now know as v10) is backing up to the cloud, my next research project will be to find out how to backup from the cloud.

You may not need it at all. I use SyncBack free to back up the Evernote data directory as part of my weekly PC backup. I can recommend Evernote-backup of you feel the need of the ENEX files.

• Like 1