Fast note creation!

dplatter

Idea

Using my MacBook Pro, it takes approximately three seconds for a new note to open when I create one in my desktop app. This seems exceedingly long -- especially when I compare it to Apple Notes, which takes about 1/3 the time. Surely, there is a way to speed this up. I'd be grateful to Evernote if you could make new notes open immediately. I read that Evernote has 250M users. If each creates an average of 5 notes per month - I estimate the world would gain 173.6 thousand days of time currently lost waiting for Evernote to load. Evernote is great, and I hope this improvement is one of those that helps it get even better.

5 replies to this idea

From bitter experience the issue is not really how long it takes to generate a note I would suggest but how long it takes for the note to synch across all devices.

With EN it takes a second or two

A few months ago I experimented with Apple notes- transferred 500 notes over from Evernote. 2 weeks later despite trying EVERYTHING including re installing iOS etc some notes STILL had not synched with other devices. This has been widely reported across several forums for over a year. Reminders and calendar do not have same issue but IMHO Apple notes is not reliable and EN IS.

I can't speak for other apps. I have 3000 notes in evernote and if I am going to use another app it has to have proved itself, have history and not require constant tweaking to use.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, RobertJLee said:

I can't speak for other apps. I have 3000 notes in evernote and if I am going to use another app it has to have proved itself, have history and not require constant tweaking to use.

I agree 100%. For me evernote is still the leader and it’s something I’ve been using for years. I know their development resources are necessary limited like those of all companies, and I hope for some great improvements.

• Level 5

@dplatter MacBook Pro, EN 10.45, appr. 1 second (or less) to create a new note. 

I don't think the number of notes play a role. Was your test on the MacBooks own screen , or on an attached monitor ? It may be an external monitor will be slower than the build in screen.

How is the startup time of your Mac client ? If it takes some time to start, it may be the local database is corrupted. This can lead to all sorts of effects.

About calculating the "time loss": Pretty useless - you need to move the mouse around (or type something) when the new note is there, which makes it irrelevant if the note pops up in 1, 2 or 3 seconds. Nobody will be hacking away a second after deciding to create a note.