photos

juhani14

Idea

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

You are talking about photos, or about scanned images ? The main use of the build in camera function is probably to scan documents. On a scanned image nobody really knows which fine detail may be important, so they keep it on high quality. Shrinking the file size usually creates compression artifacts, and they destroy readability for the finer print. I have official letters scanned, with the company address in the bottom of the page, in 6pt print, light grey. And still search will find it, even if I search for information that is only there (like a tax ID number or a company registration number).

About location data, the photos are embedded into a note. And the note has location data, if the function is active and the note was created on a mobile device. Opposite to location data embedded into a picture, you can even search for this location.

If you want smaller picture sizes, use another app (maybe the one build into the OS) to take the picture, reduce the size and upload it. It will then have location data as well. But remember you may have problems with search later on, and this can't be corrected.

Or just pay what you use, and you don't need to think about photo file sizes any more.

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You are talking about photos, or about scanned images ? The main use of the build in camera function is probably to scan documents. On a scanned image nobody really knows which fine detail may be important, so they keep it on high quality. Shrinking the file size usually creates compression artifacts, and they destroy readability for the finer print. I have official letters scanned, with the company address in the bottom of the page, in 6pt print, light grey. And still search will find it, even if I search for information that is only there (like a tax ID number or a company registration number).

About location data, the photos are embedded into a note. And the note has location data, if the function is active and the note was created on a mobile device. Opposite to location data embedded into a picture, you can even search for this location.

If you want smaller picture sizes, use another app (maybe the one build into the OS) to take the picture, reduce the size and upload it. It will then have location data as well. But remember you may have problems with search later on, and this can't be corrected.

Or just pay what you use, and you don't need to think about photo file sizes any more.

Before (some years ago) I used Evernote often as travel diary. I took photos with Evernote and then wrote some comments to the note. 

Photo size was about 0.6 MB . Photos were automatically copied to Google photos with location data.

Now with current version photo size is about 5.0 MB and photos are copied to Google photos without location data.

Photo size is problem because it makes Evernote even more slow in loading notes.  And why leave that location off ?

In desktop I use better  older version but in mobile it is not possible.

I think that if you want get photos with high quality you should use another application, and Evernote for  snapshots.

• Level 5

You can ask to have your hammer somehow work as a screwdriver as well - or you take a screwdriver right away.

Take the photo with your camera app (do you know how many options it has to make better pictures / pictures better ? Functions EN will never have, because they don’t need it).

Share the picture to EN, which will create a new note. Add your comments.