Using Shortcut to Note Causes Note Pane to Disappear

I know this has been raised before - any chance someone could address this?

When you access a note through the Shortcut link on the sidebar, the pane showing your list of notes disappears. Makes the shortcut function much less functional when your note list randomly disappears.

Seems like it should be an easy fix and I'm sure it's driving a lot of people crazy. It should just show the note list for whatever folder the note being accessed is a part of. This is how it was before the big makeover.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Rakesh G said:

Seems like it should be an easy fix

...Unless it was designed that way?  If you click the shortcut to that note,  I think the team assumed you wanted to work on that note,  so to add focus,  they removed extraneous details like the note list.  If you open your note in a new window and click 'back',  you'll get back to the normal display and can browse or choose again;  but the fact that this doesn't suit your preferred workflow does not mean that it drives anyone else crazy.  Maybe add this as a Feature request and see what support you have?

37 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you open your note in a new window and click 'back',  you'll get back to the normal display and can browse or choose again; 

Just to clarify I think the workflow you have in mind is:

• Open the note in the weird "no note list" view
  • Open this note in a new window (three dots menu -> Open in new window)
  • Then use the back button from the main window

Alternatively you could just open the note in a new window by right clicking the shortcut link and avod the  "no note list" view altogether.

40 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I think the team assumed you wanted to work on that note,  so to add focus,  they removed extraneous details like the note list. 

You may well be right, but for me the ability to open in a new window already provides that.

I often want to see a note in it's context. eg same notebook, similar date etc. While I can easily open the notebook from the note, or even filter on a tag from the note, I then have to scroll through, and find the note I was working on. Not a deal breaker for me by any means - it just seems sub-optimal.

Sure you're right, I shouldn't speak for others, I'd be interested to hear which setup others prefer. I believe I saw another thread at some point where others were calling for the same change. But to me it makes sense to retain the general screen structure to support easier navigation between notes. I'm new to the forums, would you mind pointing me in the right direction for adding a feature request?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

I think the workflow you have in mind is:

Wasn't a 'workflow' as such - just wondering why,  since recovering from inadvertently getting to that point was so easy, the change in app logic was being requested. Since -as you point out- there's an easier option available too,  I don't know where any further work on this would stand in general priorities.  

• Like 1