Include sub-tags only in professional for mobile?

Anybody else super confused about how the new sub-tag functionally works across devices? I was glad to find out about the option to be able to show sub-tags when browsing a tag, a feature that seemed missing for years.

I'm on the Personal plan and this works as expected on web and (Mac) desktop. However, on iOS, I'm being told I need to upgrade to the professional plan to perform a boolean search.

I'm not even complaining about boolean search being a "professional"-only feature (that's a whole other sad story).

The line between personal and professional is so arbitrary it now feels like the personal plan is today what the free plan was before: a stage that exists only to nudge users to upgrade to a higher tier.

• Level 5

On iOS ( as described in brief in this help document https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/4412905761299😞   

• Tap on Tags in the „left“ navigation column. Tap on the 3 dots top right, select „edit tags“ from the little menu at the bottom.
  • 3 dots appear behind each tag. Tap on one. Select „Move tag“.
  • Now a tag overview opens (looking quite similar to the list before). Select a tag that will be the upper level. The tag first selected will be nested under this tag, nesting it inside.

Since all operations on mobile can only handle one object at a time, I would not do mass organizing of my tags on mobile.

You don‘t need any subscription to do this, can even be done on a Free plan. The way it works is exactly the same on all plans - it is rooted in the software, not on the server. If you look through the plans, you will see that all subscription features are handled on the server side, not locally.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157

Your remark about nudging to higher value plans is beside the point. From my experience you get exactly what you pay for - and if you need or want a higher valued plan is entirely up to you. For me Personal does the job, so I continue on that level since it was switched over from Premium.

• Level 5

Searching nested on iOS:

• Apply a filter for a nested tag - you know it is a higher level nesting tag when it has a down arrow to the left of the tag name.
  • The blue tag button will show in the Filter field. Tap on the blue button. A little menu opens at the page button. You have the option to exclude or include the nested levels below. If you have multiple levels, this will work from each level, and includes all levels below.

About Boolean search: It does not work below the level of the Professional / Teams plan. You can add words like AND, OR or NOT. But since they are regarded as typical fill words that are found in all documents, they are simply ignored. This is independent from the platform.

These searches produce exactly the same amount of search hits, and from looking over the lists they are the same as well:

• Word1 word2
  • word1 and word2
  • word1 or word2
  • word1 not word2

In general the classical search works like a logical AND. But it ignores fill words added to the string. To make an OR-search, you need to use the ANY: operator, to build a NOT, you need to use the minus ( - ) operator.

For Boolean search you need to upgrade the plan, and then it is exclusive to this level. I think you only need it when you want to build more complex searches, and save them as saved searches to apply them repeatedly. Search syntax got improved as well with the new plans, by adding the CONTAINS operator.

2 hours ago, klickreflex said:

Anybody else super confused about how the new sub-tag functionally works across devices? I was glad to find out about the option to be able to show sub-tags when browsing a tag, a feature that seemed missing for years.

I'm on the Personal plan and this works as expected on web and (Mac) desktop. However, on iOS, I'm being told I need to upgrade to the professional plan to perform a boolean search.

I'm not even complaining about boolean search being a "professional"-only feature (that's a whole other sad story).

The line between personal and professional is so arbitrary it now feels like the personal plan is today what the free plan was before: a stage that exists only to nudge users to upgrade to a higher tier.

Seems to be the same in android. If you want to include subtags in mobile app, you have to upgrade to Evernote Professional 🤨

I wrote to customer support about this. The answer is that Evernote Professional or Evernote Teams subscription is needed for including sub tags in mobile apps:

"I understand that you are being prompted to upgrade to a Professional subscription when including sub-tags in a tag on search filters. Thank you for providing a screenshot.

Please be advised that Boolean search, a type of search that allows you to search multiple keywords and include sub-tags in a tag, is only available for Evernote Professional and Teams subscription. This is the reason why you are being prompted to upgrade to Evernote Professional. To know more about Boolean search, please refer to this article.

Moving forward, if you want to search for notes by adding tags on search filters, please exclude the sub-tags in your tag."

So, it is apparently about nudging users to upgrade to a higher tier? You get familiar with a feature in the desktop app (where it is free), but then you have to pay when you need to use it also in the mobile app. 🤥 

That's funny, I've got a totally different message in response to my ticket than you @janndk:

I understand that you are being prompted to upgrade to a Professional subscription when including sub-tags in a tag on search filters using your iOS device. You also mentioned that you were able to do this feature when using Evernote Web and Evernote app for Mac. Thank you for providing the screen recordings. This is a very big help to identify the issue.

To further assist you in resolving this issue, please answer the following:

• Can you please provide a copy of the activity log from your iOS and Mac device?

Seems like support staff has very varying ways to deal with this topic. 

Edited by klickreflex
fix typo
6 minutes ago, klickreflex said:

That's funny, I've got a totally different message in response to my ticket than you @janndk:

Seems like support staff has very varying ways to teal with this topic. 

And it's getting even more confusing. According to Evernote help articles "Nested tags are not supported with Evernote Teams". So either the customer support or help articles are wrong. 
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/4412905761299-Create-nested-tags

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

It is pretty clear why Teams is mentioned: In a Teams account, the Admin is the maintainer of the tagging system.

All the rest Leads to the conclusion I already had: The upgrade page is a bug. There is no mentioning (nowhere) that nesting would require a Professional subscription. 

Just to remember: It was always there, for All Account types. It just was not supported on the mobile clients.