Mac app requires login frequently

premier evernote, old Mac, Safari browser; 

Why does the login screen appear frequently when I try to open Evernote (latest Mac version)? I have to close EN to get rid of it, then open it back again. EN is slow on my computer so this is frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

still having this problem so let me try again:

premium Evernote, old Mac with High Sierra OS; EN version is latest

My EN for Mac often requires me to login when I first open it; closing it and re-opening it usually works but it is still annoying. I don't have this problem with my IOS devices so I'm assuming it's because of my old Mac (which I can't upgrade to a new OS because I have an absolutely essential legacy app, not EN, which I'm afraid will not work with a new OS).  I've read suggestions to close EN completely without saving data and then sync with server to get data back (I think?); or uninstalling and reinstalling the EN app? But then I've heard people have tried those things and it didn't work. I'm a wienie and afraid of losing my EN data. 

Could someone please advise? Thank you!

• Level 5

You can’t loose your data. EN v10 keeps the master copy on a cloud server, not on any device.  If you want to check if everything is there, just open the web client and compare. 

This is how you rebuild the local database on a Mac:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync.
No idea if this will fix the login problem.
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

You can’t loose your data. EN v10 keeps the master copy on a cloud server, not on any device.  If you want to check if everything is there, just open the web client and compare. 

This is how you rebuild the local database on a Mac:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync.
No idea if this will fix the login problem.

Thank you so much for your quick response---I was hoping you would answer ;) :)  If I did an uninstall and reinstall, I would get my data back too, yes? Any tips or protocol suggestions about the uninstall/reinstall process? I might try that.

• Level 5

The described process will erase the (probably corrupted) local database, and rebuild it based on the data stored on the EN cloud server.

If this is not enough, you can uninstall and reinstall the app. I use the app AppCleaner to do this on my Mac. It finds all traces of any program, and by selecting all components you can really purge an installation. Restart the Mac before reinstalling. Do not install from the AppStore  - use the direct install from the EN website.

What I can not tell is whether all this will work with an old MacOS. 

BTW: AFAIK you can install now older versions of MacOS in a Virtual Machine inside of a current MacOS. This means you do not need to stop updating just to protect an aging program. Could not try it myself, but maybe you check on the internet how it works, and what restrictions may apply.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The described process will erase the (probably corrupted) local database, and rebuild it based on the data stored on the EN cloud server.

If this is not enough, you can uninstall and reinstall the app. I use the app AppCleaner to do this on my Mac. It finds all traces of any program, and by selecting all components you can really purge an installation. Restart the Mac before reinstalling. Do not install from the AppStore  - use the direct install from the EN website.

What I can not tell is whether all this will work with an old MacOS. 

BTW: AFAIK you can install now older versions of MacOS in a Virtual Machine inside of a current MacOS. This means you do not need to stop updating just to protect an aging program. Could not try it myself, but maybe you check on the internet how it works, and what restrictions may apply.

Very very helpful!! OK, I'll try erasing the database first; if that doesn't work, I'll try the reinstall. And most definitely I'll research how to put my old MacOS in a virtual machine. I am so grateful to you!!

• Like 1