Clipping a note from web broke Evernote

Go to solution Solved by RobLewis,

I use the Web Clipper in Firefox several times a day without issues. Today I went to clip a note from a website. I got a blank window and a HARD freeze of my Intel MacBook Pro (macOS 12.1). Even the mouse pointer was frozen (sent crash report to Apple).

Upon rebooting, I now am unable to edit or delete notes. It just says "your note failed to update; reload to continue editing". Using the web interface appears to work OK.

Is this another case of "Uninstall Evernote, trash your local data, and reinstall"? Big drag! I have a LOT of notes.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a simple Help menu option to "Reload local data from cloud" or something similar?

• Level 5

Maybe your local database took a shot. You can rebuild it from the server:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 

Thanks, but something has gone wrong. I noticed that the menu options are named somewhat differently from what you said. Here's what I'm doing (again):

1. In Evernote Preferences, uncheck "Save Data at Log Out"

2. Select File | Log Out Rob Lewis

3. In the "Keep local backup?" dialog, check "Remove my Evernote data from this device" and click "Sign Out".

4. The first time I tried this I rebooted the Mac but this time I'm not.

5. Quit Evernote & make sure it's not running.

6. Re-launch Evernote.

7. It launches quickly and automatically logs me in.

My notes are there, I can read them, but if I try any edit, I get this:

"Note failed to update. There's been an error syncing your note. Please reload to resume editing." (Clicking the Reload button doesn't change anything)

It seems pretty clear that it is NOT deleting my data when it quits, because I don't need to log in and there is no delay while it refreshes my notes from the server.

Help!

Just tried again, with another reboot. Discovered I can search in notes, I just can't make any changes to them.

I wonder why it's not deleting my local data when I tell it to.

Edited by RobLewis
add item
  • Level 5

As it reads the local data has not been removed. I assume the problem is with the local database - which means the note should work on other devices, and on the web client as well.

If you feel familiar with the Finder, you can try this:

Log out of your account in the EN client, quit the EN client (cmd-q)

Open the Finder

Go to this folder - it may be hidden 

/Users/myusername/Library/Application Support/Evernote

Rename it to something like ..../Evernote.old

Close the finder, restart the Mac.

When it has booted again, open the EN client and log into your account.

If the folder has successfully been removed, it should be much smaller now. It will grow while the EN client loads down the content from the server. Wait until the initial download has terminated before using the client.

Try again if the note is now working.

OK, this is weird: I did the steps exactly as you said, renaming the folder Evernote.old. Rebooted, logged into Evernote.

All my old stuff is there! There is no new Evernote folder in Application Support, and it seems to find everything in Evernote.old just fine.

And I still can't edit notes.

(I also have a folder called Evernote Preview, but it hasn't changed in almost 2 years. I presume I can delete it.)

• Solution

The problem seems to have been a corrupted Evernote.app. I deleted it, rebooted, and reinstalled it and it seems to be working OK now. Going to use it for a while before declaring victory.