(Archived) Feature Consideration: Notebook/Tag Hierarchies

I don't know if this has been discussed before. If so, pardon me bringing it up again, but searches for "notebook" or "tag" bring up quite a few listings which a cursory glance find to be not relevant to what's on my mind.

One thing that I've noticed in my short time of using EverNote is that my list of tags and notebooks has been growing quite quickly. For example, I have a dozen or so regular meetings a week. The options I see for keeping track of them is to either make a separate notebook for each meeting or put all the meeting notes in one notebook and create a tag for each meeting. Either way, I end up with a long list of meeting labels in either my notebooks list or tags list. Most of these I don't care about the majority of the time, but they take up quite a bit of space.

I think one way of cleaning this up would be to have hierarchies of notebooks or tags. For example, have a notebook labeled Meetings that contains the notebooks of all my meetings, or to have a Meeting tag that is a bucket for tags for each individual meeting.

If there is already a way to handle these situations that I have overlooked, please point me in the right direction.

Ryan

Tags can be ordered into hierarchies by dragging one tag under another. This is an organizational, not semantic, hierarchy to make it easier to find the tags (to make it easier to find your notes, which is the ultimate goal). I.e. if you make a "Places" tag and stick "San Francisco" under it, that doesn't mean that all of the notes which were tagged with "San Francisco" have now been tagged with "Places".

Tags can be ordered into hierarchies by dragging one tag under another. This is an organizational, not semantic, hierarchy to make it easier to find the tags (to make it easier to find your notes, which is the ultimate goal). I.e. if you make a "Places" tag and stick "San Francisco" under it, that doesn't mean that all of the notes which were tagged with "San Francisco" have now been tagged with "Places".

This works on the web interface too although it's a little slow (I read your post as PC/Mac only).

Having only really launched into the Beta yesterday, I was slightly worried at what I saw as a lack of hierachic tagging. This makes it a lot clearer and somewhat more useful.

Question: Is there a "hard" limit to the depth of the tag hierarchy?

I currently only go to a max of three (3) levels deep and that seems fine for me right now, but I imagine I could go deeper in some cases.

(Aside: It's rather embarrassing to say, as this is a BETA, but I really would rather not break something by testing the limits :shock: )

There's no hard limit on tag nesting depth, although the UI may impose some practical limits since we didn't expend any special effort to make sure that a 12-level hierarchy would look pretty on all platforms. There's an overall limit of 1000 tags per account currently.

Dear Team

The tag system is not perfectly hierarchical (and very depending on the system you use as it behaves differently, I sent a feedback)

There are problems with Parents not showing children

Parents with no notes but with populated children that will not show a thing!!!

Parents with note assigned and children populated will not show the sum of the notes if you choose the parent

(Inclusive, a click on the Tags word will behave differently on different platforms!!!)

the tags must be FORCED into a note to be considered... I don't know if you abandonned the idea of 2.2.1 but tags are more complicated to understand, need more work to select all of them, need different syntax to be queried on the different platforms, have problems with negation, are subject to the limitation of the all/any selection (bad bad bad!!!)

Very very different with 2.2.1 and no consistency between platforms (plus I guess a serious problem of design)

I hope this is to be corrected on next release as we would love to see Hierarchical tags with good normal behavior Parent-child relation.... and then a good improvment on the querying system.

Tom

Archived