Seamless Drawing/Handwrite Support

Cam L

Idea

I am new to Evernote, and am looking to figure out if I should switch to Evernote to contain all my notes, journaling pages, etc. The problem I have is I prefer handwriting, since I typically use lots of pictures, circuit diagrams, etc. And for any sort of studying, handwriting is proven to help you remember the information, so I'm very partial to it. 

Just curious if there are any plans to integrate handwriting into the platform, even in the distant future? I know of the sketch tool, but is there any plans to make handwriting work well like in OneNote? This is the one road block stopping me from fully switching to Evernote for everything instead of Notion for organizing journals and notes, notability for handwritten documents, etc. Is this feature in development, or is it too difficult to implement cleanly with the current Evernote system based on how the note files are built and saved as?

If the feature is even being considered, I may switch all my files from Notion to Evernote and just use notability for handwriting until the feature is added. 

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

In EN itself there is the Sketch feature, which is properly named. It is for making a Sketch on a canvas - not really for handwriting. There is for iOS devices the Penultimate app by EN, designed for handwriting. Some like it - I think it is quite outdated. EN purchased the app years ago, and never really took it ahead.

Nobody knows what is in the making, but I doubt EN is pushing into better handwriting support.

Personally I use GoodNotes 5 for handwritten notes. When a topic is closed, I export it as a pdf, complete with search index, and import it into EN. There are other similar apps, like NoteShelf, Notability and Nebo. Each is a bit different - maybe give them a try and use the one you like best in features and handling.

I also am looking for this functionality. I use EN daily, and store all sales call notes and information in EN folders.

However the handwriting sketch feature is not up to the task, so I use Samsung notes on my S-Tablet, which is a great app, and export as an image to EN.

The export feature is a bit hit and miss, so needs to be repeated sometimes, and is a good number of steps which could be avoided.

The main limits to the Sketch feature in my use case is:

- Inability to have multi page support

- The long load and save times

If resolved, EN would be a one stop shop for sales professionals and people in/out of meetings and calls all day. (Especially with the new tasks feature)

• Level 5

You are right, as it currently is solved the Sketch feature does not support your intended use case.

To bring your idea to the attention of EN staff, you can use the feedback function build into the clients.

My personal feeling is that improving Sketch (or handwriting in general) is not at the focus of the current EN development efforts.