New version of Evernote lacks some critical features found in Evernote 7.14 and earlier

Here are 3 items that are missing in the new version of Evernote that should be added back into / enhanced in the new version of Evernote:

1. The ability for 3rd party scanning software to automatically create a new note with a scanned image other than ScanSnap (which I'm sure pays some kickback to Evernote). I have used several Epson scanners over the years that could easily create a new note in Evernote for every scanned image I scanned, but once Evernote got the big upgrade, they took away that possibility. Checking with both Evernote and Epson, that door was CLOSED by Evernote. Clearly that possibility still exists because it can be done using ScanSnap software but not others. (Can you say Micro$oft). It's funny how when companies want new customers they are happy to help, but once they get so big, it's all about the money.

2. The ability to transfer a note from one account/folder to another account/folder easily. If you see the image below, you can see that I can be in one account and transfer a file easily to a folder in another account that is logged into. In the Legacy Evernote, I am logged into 3 of my Paid accounts and I can easily transfer notes. Now I have to share my entire account out to share notes between accounts. I don't want to do that. I want to MOVE the note, not share it. Please bring this feature back.

image.thumb.png.7f884a8482a3764e6ae319d17f98fcfc.png

3. The ability to EASILY move notes to different folders in the same account. The new version of Evernote requires extra clicks to move a note. It was much simpler before. In Legacy you literary click on the note name (no hovering required) a drop down of all your folders opens and your cursor is already placed in the search field and you can begin typing the name of the folder. As you type the list gets shorter, matching what you typed and if the folder you want to move to happens to be the highlighted one, you simply hit enter and DONE! The note is moved. In the new version, you have to hover to expose the "move" icon, then you have to click into the search box, then you have to type the name to shorten the list, click the folder and then click move. WAY TOO MANY clicks! Please revert back to the old process.

image.thumb.png.3b66ef16575f42882351a7165626fbdc.png

Please consider making these changes.

• Level 5

The new version solves some things differently:

1) I can’t confirm that they took away any ability for scanners. I use the ScannerPro app on iOS, that offers a workflow to send a scanned document to EN, complete with assignment of notebook and tags. It is not influenced and working as before.

In general the API was not touched - it is a server side function, independent from the clients.

To bring scanned content into EN on PC and (new) Mac, you can use the import folders as an universal interface.

2) AFAIK it was never possible between independent accounts to move a note. Maybe it was possible in a Business Account setup, old style. This was replaced in 2017 by the separate accounts of the new model - which is necessary under aspects of compliance and data protection laws, at least in Europe.

EN is just now enforcing the switch to the current Business/Teams model. This has nothing to do with v10.

To move notes from one account to another you can use notebooks shared between the accounts.

3) The new move process is as it is. Maybe a few more clicks, and room for improvement. Every idea is welcome - just remember that the GUI of v10 follows one set of rules for all clients - the old clients each had their own way of doing the same thing - 5 different ways. 

For all 3 issues the forum may be a place to discuss between us users. Since the forum is user2user, to bring anything to the attention of EN use the feedback function in the clients or issue support tickets.

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

1) I can’t confirm that they took away any ability for scanners. I use the ScannerPro app on iOS, that offers a workflow to send a scanned document to EN, complete with assignment of notebook and tags. It is not influenced and working as before.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am speaking only about the desktop app of EN for Mac. I have an email from EN support indicating that support for 3rd party scanners was discontinued in the new version of EN for Mac and they recommended that I use the Legacy version of the desktop app. This is not handled via the API, it is a handoff between the local scanning app and EN for desktop. 

14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

2) AFAIK it was never possible between independent accounts to move a note. Maybe it was possible in a Business Account setup, old style. This was replaced in 2017 by the separate accounts of the new model - which is necessary under aspects of compliance and data protection laws, at least in Europe.

It was, and still is possible to move notes between accounts in EN Legacy. Also, I have paid personal accounts not business accounts, so I don't need that level of compliance. So EN just have enough intelligence to know the difference and act accordingly. 

17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

3) The new move process is as it is. Maybe a few more clicks, and room for improvement. Every idea is welcome - just remember that the GUI of v10 follows one set of rules for all clients - the old clients each had their own way of doing the same thing - 5 different ways. 

My only point is that it is more clicks and should be reviewed to simplify the process. Also, I'm not sure you are accurate. I have been using EN for a long time and I don't recall that it was different in version 5, 6 or 7. It is certainly different in v10 and it's more clicks. Why fix it if it was less clicks and worked well with less clicks in v7? 

44 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

For all 3 issues the forum may be a place to discuss between us users. Since the forum is user2user, to bring anything to the attention of EN use the feedback function in the clients or issue support tickets.

Good point, I will do that as well. I do know that EN support personnel comb through these forums and if they see an active board, they will follow it to check on user feedback and discussion. But there may be users who have workarounds for my scanning issue or moving a note from one account/folder to another account/folder without "sharing" the note. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Level 5

Scanners: I don’t use different scanners, and my ScanSnap is still working directly with EN. But this is because the ScanSnap software does it, it is not of ENs doing that it works. AFAIK you need to talk to the scanner manufacturer.

But even if this works, I now prefer the import folder. The file name of the scan gets the notes title in EN. Now the scanner is notoriously bad in creating a real, good title. So I scan into the ScanSnap Manager software, have it OCRed there and then apply a new file name. Done, one click, import folder is already preselected, and a few seconds later I have a new note, with a good note title. Zero rework necessary in EN.

Import folders are new on the Mac with v10. Before you needed 3rd party tools like Hazel or scripting to perform the same.

• Level 5

Will Check about moving notes - AFAIK it was only possible to share, not to move. Sharing is still possible.

To move there is a simple solution: Export the note from one client as ENEX file, open the file from the other client. This should create a new note, with the exported content.

• Level 5

About efficiency: The old clients were cutting corners here and there. The problem was: They were different by themselves from platform to platform, different GUI, different settings, different workflows. If you used EN (always with the latest client installed) on Mac, Windows and web, you had in fact 3 different programs acting on the same server data. Windows 6.25 was still 32bit, Mac 7.14 was 64bit, and way different from its Windows sibling. Even the local databases were different, made with different approaches. Windows stored everything in a real database, Mac only had metadata in a database, using a folder structure for the rest.

This hodgepodge nearly broke EN because the cost of complexity (in money and time) rose exponentially over time. 

The alternative was not to continue with legacy, the alternative was to fold or to start fresh. EN decided to start again.

We now have the same clients on desktops and (with small differences) on browsers. We have another set on mobile, again identical between iOS and Android, with a similar GUI that is close to the desktop.

Maybe a few more clicks, compared to a single one of the old clients. But much better for any user who is running EN cross platform.

Since the current v10 GUI follows a general design concept, I doubt they will introduce many click-cutting extra routines.