HELP! I can't even open Evernote after downloading the latest update this morning (29 Sept.'21)

Hi Everyone,

I was happily using the current version, (10.22?), when the box appeared asking me if I wanted to install the latest version, (10.22.3?). I clicked 'yes' and that was the last I saw of Evernote v10.22! I just can't open it whatever I do. (Luckily, I've got Legacy so there's no real problem,)

Also, I called up the Web version through my browser (Chrome) but that was hopelessly out of synch. and I couldn't figure out how to synchronise it - hopefully, someone will tell me how to do that because I'd imagine it's got to be simple!

Tomorrow, I plan on uninstalling/reinstalling but before I do that, I thought I'd post  the problem to see if anyone else suffered the same problem and whether there's an easier fix than the one I'm thinking of.

Thanks

59 minutes ago, BODGER99 said:

I was happily using the current version, (10.22?), when the box appeared asking me if I wanted to install the latest version, (10.22.3?). I clicked 'yes' and that was the last I saw of Evernote v10.22! I just can't open it whatever I do. (Luckily, I've got Legacy so there's no real problem,)

This is not an uncommon experience for me when installing a new version. If I open task manager I often find there are all sorts of EN processes running. If I manually close I can then open the new version as expected. You could reboot the PC instead and if you have already done that i'm afraid this isn't going to help.

1 hour ago, BODGER99 said:

Also, I called up the Web version through my browser (Chrome) but that was hopelessly out of synch. and I couldn't figure out how to synchronise it - hopefully, someone will tell me how to do that because I'd imagine it's got to be simple!

The web version synchs automatically with the server. It should be identical to what is on the server. If I haven't used the web version in a while it takes a few seconds to update so there is obviously some sort of cache but after a few seconds it is correct. You should of course check that legacy is syncing properly with the server because I have heard of cases where synching has been turned of accidentally in some way.

3 hours ago, Mike P said:

This is not an uncommon experience for me when installing a new version. If I open task manager I often find there are all sorts of EN processes running. If I manually close I can then open the new version as expected. You could reboot the PC instead and if you have already done that i'm afraid this isn't going to help.

Mike,

Many thx - your 'task manager' solution worked fine!! (Useful tip to remember.)

Mike

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Usually you can reach the same by quitting the app - not closing it by the X, but really quitting through the File menu.

Except in this instance the app was not visibly open so you have no choice but to force the background processes to close.