A number of suggestions (bugs maybe?)

BrooklynBen

Idea

I'm running both Evernote Legacy and occasionally I close it and open the current version (running 10.21) just to check it out, try using it. 

There are several issues caused by the removal of tabs. 

1) No way to open a new note in a new window (i.e. right-clicking or something)

2) Similarly, no way to open an existing note from the shortcuts or navigation area in a new window

3) No way to see the title of the current note if scrolled down at all. (Seriously, there is so much wasted space at the top of the notes. I get the name of my Notebook, and that's it. Display the note title and move the Tags up there too already. People who don't use Tags simply won't see any. )

4) When more than one note is open (i.e. one note in the main app window and a second note in a second window), copying the internal note app link (whether by shortcut or through the menu) often copies the wrong link. I’ve tried this a dozen times, clicking very distinctly on the window/note I want to link-copy. 

5) CMD-J, regardless of what window one is working in, the active window, can only change the note in the main program window, not floating windows. 

3 replies to this idea

1 hour ago, BrooklynBen said:

I'm running both Evernote Legacy and occasionally I close it and open the current version (running 10.21) just to check it out, try using it. 

There are several issues caused by the removal of tabs. 

1) No way to open a new note in a new window (i.e. right-clicking or something)

2) Similarly, no way to open an existing note from the shortcuts or navigation area in a new window

3) No way to see the title of the current note if scrolled down at all. (Seriously, there is so much wasted space at the top of the notes. I get the name of my Notebook, and that's it. Display the note title and move the Tags up there too already. People who don't use Tags simply won't see any. )

4) When more than one note is open (i.e. one note in the main app window and a second note in a second window), copying the internal note app link (whether by shortcut or through the menu) often copies the wrong link. I’ve tried this a dozen times, clicking very distinctly on the window/note I want to link-copy. 

5) CMD-J, regardless of what window one is working in, the active window, can only change the note in the main program window, not floating windows. 

I'm not a Mac user but the Mac and Windows versions are now almost identical so I expect you can convert my answers (where they exist) to a Mac answer.

1. Double click the "+New" button or use the shortcut (alt+ctrl+N on windows)

2. Double click it

3. No suggestions on this one

4. I can't reproduce that on Windows, sorry

5. Again, provided the floating window is in "edit mode" - ie the editing toolbar is visible it seems to work fine.

Sorry not to be more help but I expect a Mac user will respond eventually.

• Like 1

So, something that's clearer to me now. I'm used to working with multiple Notes simultaneously, and with Tabs gone, the only way to do that is in multiple windows. Double-clicking opens the Note in the main window (replacing whatever is there) before cloning it into a new window, thus giving two windows with the same note, instead of opening the new thing I need *along with* the old thing I needed to keep using. I need a way to open notes (whether new or pre-existing) without making the main Note window pointless. 

1. Doesn't seem to work on Mac. However, you're right that there's a keyboard shortcut for it, which is great. Prefer keyboard shortcuts. 

9 hours ago, BrooklynBen said:

Double-clicking opens the Note in the main window (replacing whatever is there) before cloning it into a new window, thus giving two windows with the same note, instead of opening the new thing I need *along with* the old thing I needed to keep using.

Good point, you are right. In windows in the note list you can right click a note which is not currently displayed and there is an option to "open in new window". This doesn't alter the note displayed in the main view. I hope that translates to mac.