New Mac version slow and don't like inability to turn off auto-formatting

I am a long-time EndNote user on my Mac and iPhone, but I am very disappointed with the new version 10.16.7-mac.

First, it is slow to load, up to 30 seconds before the green circle stops spinning and I can start working. Sometimes I just want to check a file quickly and do not appreciate having to wait.

I am also extremely disappointed that auto-formatting of bulleted and numbered lists cannot be turned off. I prefer to do my own formatting of such lists and do not appreciate EndNote not allowing me to do that.

I do hope these problems will be fixed ASAP.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Speed: My EN opens on my Mac practically instantly. But I have a fast Internet connection. Because EN loads content from the internet, this can influence how fast it starts.

Possible workaround: Start it right away, and keep it running in the background to avoid the download on startup during the day.

Format: The new editor is at the heart of the new client. I understand your intentions, AFAIK there will be no changes to the way it handles certain features like checklists.

I have robust Internet speeds at home (Comcast Gigabit) and work (standard corporate network). The application starts up quickly, it just takes a long time for the circle to stop spinning so I can look at notes. I don't have the application always running and prefer not to have to remember to do that each day.

As for not allowing auto-format, even MS Word allows you to turn that feature off.

These are simple usability issues that should not penalize the user. As a long-time satisfied user of EverNote, I will have to explore other options.

Bill

• Level 5

Format: EN is not Word, and doesn’t try to be another word processor. I don’t expect the new editor to change any time soon - I think the auto formatting is there to stay.

Speed: Your setup looks good. If you still have a speed problem, you can wait until it happens again. Then issue a support ticket, and attach the activity log. Maybe they can read something from it.

My notes open practically in an instant, on my MacBook Pro and on my iOS devices.

To link both together: The more settings you need to check by the code, the more code you need to execute and the slower the program will perform. Keep it simple is keep it fast.

I am not asking EN to be Word. I am asking EN to give users the kind of flexibility that even evil Microsoft gives its users.

My notes open up fast on my iPhone. It is only the new version on my Macbook Pro where the circle spins for 20-30 seconds. I don't like workarounds.

I see others have had this problem on other platforms. I will file a support ticket.

• Like 2