Subtasks or cascading tasks

aukirk

Idea

4 replies to this idea

On 6/5/2021 at 3:08 PM, Pellice said:

Agreed.  I have just spent 15 minutes trying to make subtasks until I finally realized that functionality does not exist.

I have found the best way to do subtasks is to create a new task note and not use the default task note. With this method the tasks within the note would be considered subtasks. Not optimal as there is then no due date or anything on the "container" task(I like to set weekly check-in's for parent tasks). But it works well - I have a few task notes set up with various "sub-tasks" in each note.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

+1 for subtasks. With checklists having indentation, I hope this is easily an upcoming feature for Tasks. This is the only feature keeping me from cancelling my task manager subscription entirely. 

Using notes as parent tasks is a great workaround but is exhaustive when you consistently use subtasks for smaller projects. 

• Like 7
On 6/7/2021 at 2:16 PM, buckethead said:

I have found the best way to do subtasks is to create a new task note and not use the default task note. With this method the tasks within the note would be considered subtasks. Not optimal as there is then no due date or anything on the "container" task(I like to set weekly check-in's for parent tasks). But it works well - I have a few task notes set up with various "sub-tasks" in each note.

I was just looking at the sub task idea and your idea is the solution I needed.  A note can contain a list of tasks and the note title becomes a collapsible list in the main task list.  The note title becomes your header in the main task list.

It might still be nice to have actual headers (ie the way Cozi does).  You simply create a header and drag tasks under it.  The header actually does nothing but could be collapsible also.

• Like 3