"Learn Spelling" Option is Not There

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5

This is not true: Make a right click on the misspelled word.

If the spellchecker has proposals, they will show as a list. Under the list of proposals there is the option "Learn spelling".

Only if the spell checker has absolutely no clue, and because of that does not present proposals, there is no learning option either.

If you want to get one, issue a support ticket, or use the feedback option build into the clients.

So I looked through some other notes, and the Learn Spelling feature IS there....sort of.   In many cases, the spell checker is not offering suggestions, and that is when the "Learn Spelling" option is not listed.  But isn't that when it SHOULD be listed?  Obviously if one of the suggested words seems fitting, I would choose it; and I would not need the Learn Spelling option in that case.  But when NONE of them are suitable (or none are even listed), that is precisely when the Learn Spelling (OR Apple's "Ignore Spelling") option is needed...yet it is not there.  I always though of "Learn Spelling" as an override for when the spell checker is either giving me all the wrong suggestions or has no suggestions at all.   Maybe I'm still missing something?

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 9/7/2021 at 5:35 AM, PinkElephant said:

No, IMHO not missing anything.

If you want it improved, issue a support ticket or use the feedback option build into the clients.

I mean, the feature is *literally* missing. The current implementation is pointless if I can't tell it: "trust me bro, this is how I want to spell this word that I just made up". Every other software that has spellchecking offers that very basic feature: I just made Firefox learn "ssggsgs"!

You seem very gung-ho about issuing a ticket, so I will; you're probably right that it's the right channel anyway. But please don't gaslight users, it's not cool.

Here's a workaround that I found was working, on macOS at least.

If you go into any other word processor (TextEdit comes built-in) and type out the words you want the spell checker to learn, when you go back to Evernote and reload a note (select another one and come back to the one you were editing, for example), your word will no longer show up as misspelled.

This is because Evernote does not have its own dictionary, it's simply using the one from your system.

Due to this fact, I'm even more convinced that it is a bug and not at all working as expected. As such, I've created a ticket for it.

• Level 5

Now we get workarounds that are not needed because the function works:

Type, get the red underlining, make a right click on the word, choose "Learn spelling" from the drop down menu, done.

1110876305_Bildschirmfoto2022-02-22um22_08_15.png.3f3cae6f39e0b5a535811f446b1971b6.png

Maybe you need to update your client. Current version is 10.31, MacOS 12.2.1.

• Level 5

If you are on 10.12 on a Mac now, it means you are 10 months back in updates ! Anybody in your situation will need a „workaround“ - or simply get the latest version.

You do not only miss spell check learning, you miss a ton of other functions and bug fixes as well.

Simply download the update from the EN website, and install.

Your release:

21411F5E-5C91-48E3-8F8C-A647F107E83E.thumb.jpeg.050de8d3e94eec1051d3369853e5c5e1.jpeg

Learn spelling added

CC1554B8-9275-4FC0-AACE-69F84C28579F.thumb.jpeg.d42957ec5f9c035368c5cbcf58476eb5.jpeg

Current release

DC700FAE-0F24-4A86-BA4B-1A0430BC9185.thumb.jpeg.b9cb15dac7cf84f2880e102aba979c2d.jpeg

Ah! Finally something kind of helpful! I don't love the tone, but at least now I know that I can't trust the app to tell me when it has updates. Even their tech support couldn't tell me that. Guess I'll start randomly redownloading Evernote directly from the website every once in a while, just in case.

So... thanks? Even if you're trying to make me believe I didn't do more than my due diligence, for some reason.

• Level 5

Well, you insisted in being right, against all facts.

I am another user, paying my account as everybody, using EN for my end - it was a piece of work to get all the relevant facts for why it did not work in your case.

You must not like the tone, glad if I could show you the way to make it work.

The update function of the app may or may not work - another issue for support, I suppose. There are help documents in the help section of EN, telling the latest release and stating all prior release notes. If not sure, check it there.

Or download the dmg file from the download page - it shows the version number in the file name. Since the launch of v10 the desktop app has updated every 2-3 weeks, on average.