Keyboard Shortcuts for Evernote Web

IC1

Idea

Hi Team,

EN has come a long way in it's development since the Big Reset. Consistency of visual design across Web, Android, Desktop is great. However, a lack of shortcuts on the web client is a significant barried to adoption.

Products like Gmail show the incredible power of keyboard based workflows and Evernote Web would benefit incredibly. Personally I need to use EN just as efficiently in Linux as Windows. I don't mind there not being a native Linux client if this is made up for by the same Keyboard shortcuts on Web as we see in Desktop. The next release of EN should hopefully see shortcuts like "Control Q" in the next few weeks which will be absolutely amazing and one of the key missing pieces to enter "flow state" while working in EN.

At least to manage our expectations, are Keyboard shortcuts on Web off the table or maybe pencilled in for later?

Kind Regards.

4 replies to this idea

There have never been native keyboard shortcuts for EN web. I would be willing to make a bet keyboard shortcuts on web is off the table....

That said, I wrote a chrome extension, Evercuts, that adds a few of the most basic keyboard shortcuts. Install it here and check out the code here.

Well said. Nowadays, there is no reason to treat the browser as a second-class platform, especially for a product built on top of web technologies like Evernote. And talking about keyboard shortcuts, I'd even add that not only the shortcuts themselves, but also the ability to customize shortcuts is paramount on the web, where different browser/OS combinations capture different shortcuts and prevent them from being used by web apps.

-Alex

• Like 1

There are quite a few keyboard shortcuts for evernote web, unfortunately they´re not documented anywhere. The editing window has standard shortcuts (so # for a heading, [text](url) for entering a link, etc).

Ctrl + n -> go to nth shortcut etc. You'll have to search about for them.

1 hour ago, avernet said:

Well said. Nowadays, there is no reason to treat the browser as a second-class platform, especially for a product built on top of web technologies like Evernote. And talking about keyboard shortcuts, I'd even add that not only the shortcuts themselves, but also the ability to customize shortcuts is paramount on the web, where different browser/OS combinations capture different shortcuts and prevent them from being used by web apps.

-Alex

In Javascript i think you can capture pretty much every standard key combination (Ctrl-V, Ctrl-C etc.). One problem is that they have different keycodes based on the browser. However I'm sure there are libraries for things like that.