Can't find how to disable Evernote from automatically creating a note when I copy text

On 4/2/2021 at 3:45 AM, vanessaf said:

Title says it all.

I don't think it does.

This has never happened to me. Where is the focus when you paste the text? If I am in edit mode (ie the cursor is in a note and the edit toolbar is visible) when I paste text it goes into the note as expected. If I try to paste in any other situation nothing happens.

The only way I can get anything like your problem is if I drag a text file onto the file list. Then it creates a new note as it would with any sort of file. If you drag the file into an existing note it will attach it to that note (and allow you to view it inline). This is different from legacy where it would automatically unpack a text file into the body of a note.

Please give some more details.

• 2 months later...

I have this same problem. I can be in Excel or Google Sheets and when I copy a cell, Evernote Windows app automatically creates a note for the information I've copied. It's maddening.

20 hours ago, Tina P said:

I have this same problem. I can be in Excel or Google Sheets and when I copy a cell, Evernote Windows app automatically creates a note for the information I've copied. It's maddening.

More detail of what exactly you are doing would be helpful. Your post says literally that if you just copy a cell (how?) a new note is created. Is this really what you meant? The only think I can think of is that you are using the alt-ctrl-V global shortcut which will create a new note from the contents of the clipboard wherever you are in Windows. This shortcut can be changed or disabled in the shortcut menu (ctrl-/ or help -> keyboard shorcuts).

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

This just happened to me and it copied a password I had in my clipboard and I was about to paste it from my password manager. I really do not like this behavior. It has me seriously considering uninstalling evernote until I know this can be addressed. I also do not like the fact that the preferences in evernote are severely lacking. I have been a long time subscriber and considering whether I just need to cancel the subscription. This is a serious concern and a violation of privacy. If someone wants to enable clipboard capturing, okay, but that should be an opt-in option and not a feature that cannot be disabled.

I am running:

10.25.6-mac-mas-public (458831)
Editor: v135.2.17285
Service: v1.42.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

on Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1

• Level 5

This why they are called „global“ shortcuts - because they work on the whole system, not just inside of EN.

If you work a lot with EN, having global shortcuts is a real time saver. If not, do what you did: Change them, or switch them off.