Web Clipper screenshot doesn't get the whole screen in the screenshot (including top and bottom taskbars). Please improve the screenshot functionality of the Web Clipper to place it's basic features more in line with other popular screenshot tools.

JodyHeath.Com

Idea

Currently, if I were to clip this Amazon page with the EN Web Clipper, it cuts off the top task bar (which includes valuable reference information such as the url/address bar). It also cuts off the bottom task bar (which includes important validation data such as the computer generated time stamp). The next image was done using the screenshot function of the EN Web Clipper.

image.thumb.png.6662c7faf2f766a0d20d50b927bd7e47.png

However, if I were to use other popular programs like TechSmith's "Snagit" or the Window's free "Snipping" tool, I could include everything showing on my screen as seen below. As you can see, below, both the top and bottom taskbar's showed up in the Snagit/Snipping tool screenshots.

image.thumb.png.7f643ad1235994d78cfa5c178c024eb3.png

Why is this important?

• By having the URL in the top taskbar, it adds validity and reference.
  • And by having that computer generated time stamp in the bottom task bar, it just adds even more validity and evidence when needed. For example:
    • I buy something on Amazon that states it has a lifetime warranty. I screenshot it at the time of purchase. A few months later, they change the add copy to show a 6 month warranty. I have a warranty claim after 6 months. Having that screenshot with the time stamp on the task bar, can really help provide the quick proof you need sometimes.
    • And other times, just for your own research usage, it's nice to have that timestamp contained within the screenshot.
    • Also, think about when you make credit card payments, and you're pushing it close to the deadline. If later on, you need to dispute if you paid on time, this will be invaluable.
    • This has numerous implications. Utilizing this time stamp has gotten me out of a jam on several occasions.

While it's not that hard to use the other tools for screenshots (and then paste them into EN), it really unnecessarily breaks up the work flow and, therefore, it really deters my use of the Web Clipper tool due to this limitation. Please vote this one up, if it's important to you!

Best, 

Jody

4 replies to this idea

11 hours ago, JodyHeath.Com said:

Currently, if I were to clip this Amazon page with the EN Web Clipper, it cuts off the top task bar (which includes valuable reference information such as the url/address bar). It also cuts off the bottom task bar (which includes important validation data such as the computer generated time stamp).

You could always just use the capture screen function in the desktop app rather than the screen shot function within the webclipper. (alt-ctrl-S on windows). You then get complete control of what is captured and it automatically creates a new note with the screenshot.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JodyHeath.Com said:

Thanks, but the screen capture doesn't seem to be working at the moment via: alt-ctrl-S or indirectly via alt-ctrl-H

Works for me. Can be a bit slow to react. When I press alt-ctrl-S the screen dims and the cursor changes to a cross hair. You need to drag the cross hair to select the area. I haven't found an easy way of just select the whole screen.

Thanks for the mention Mike. Alt-ctrl-S Still not working for me (tried on EN 10.10.5  Web/Desktop & Legacy Desktop).

• When I need to mark up screen shots, I'll stick with Snagit and them paste into EN. 
  • But if all I need is a screenshot with a time stamp, until I figure out the alt-ctrl-S glitch, the most elegant work-around, I guess is to just use the windows native snipping tool or it's latest big brother, the native windows screenshot addition called snip and sketch. Just found this nifty short-cut for ship and sketch (Windows Key + Shift + S) or it can be pinned to taskbar like the snipping tool.
  • I actually have Window's Snipping tool, Window's Snip and sketch, and Techsmith's Snagit, all pinned to the taskbar for different modalities. I see value in all my screen shot tech's.....  I'd just like a one click (or as few of clicks), screenshot (with the lower time stamped task bar) into a note which I think alt-ctrl-S would have checked that box.... I must have a conflict somewhere on my system.

Ironically.... Just like me to spend hours to accomplish something (solve a puzzle) that, utility-wise, only saves me a few seconds here and there:)