F3 doesn't add tag (in separate note window) - reflections about the 10+ version

I have been using legacy since the upgrade. Today I decided to go and try the 10+ version. Evernote is an important part of my everyday workflow, I am an academic with a very bad memory...!

Started the application, so far so good. +New note. A bit annoying that it doesn't open in a new window, but I will get used to that. Double-clicked to open it in a new window manually. Wrote down some note from an ongoing Zoom-meeting, all fine. I see the point with the extended formatting options.

Note is done, I want to add tags. I press F3. Nothing happens. Again. Nothing. I hover the "add tag" button down below and sure, it says F3. I try again, nothing.

The problem seems to be that F3 doesn't work to add a tag when having the note open in a separate window. It works if going back to the main window.

This is simply not good enough. You don't release a software to your customers where basic, simple functions do not work.

A bug here and there, fine. Complex new functions that have some minor issues in the beginning? Sure. But a missing keyboard shortcut, six months after the release? Insane.

Not to mention all the missing features, but these have been covered extensively in other posts.

25 minutes ago, jeom said:

+New note. A bit annoying that it doesn't open in a new window

If you use the global keyboard shortcut for a new note (alt-ctrl-N) it will create a new note in a new window even if the focus is not in EN. You can change that shortcut if you want to by accessing the keyboard shortcut list (ctrl-/)

27 minutes ago, jeom said:

I want to add tags. I press F3. Nothing happens.

I can't reproduce this. Whether I am in a note in the main window or in a separate window F3 puts the cursor into the the tag area and changes the text from "Add tag" to "Type to add". Even if I am not in edit mode it works. If you start typing it will bring up a list of the tags starting with the characters you have typed. If you would rather pick from your tag hierarchy you can bring that up with alt-ctrl-T - that works if you are viewing the note in a saparate window or the main window.

I would check that you are using the upto date version (10.8.5) because I seem to remember that this problem was reported in the past.

1 minute ago, Mike P said:

I would check that you are using the upto date version (10.8.5) because I seem to remember that this problem was reported in the past.

Hmmm... That's it then. I guess also the auto-update function is buggy. Help -> Check for updates gives me this:

image.png.7b781351adbbbb094901d16138831364.png

Just now, jeom said:

Hmmm... That's it then. I guess also the auto-update function is buggy. Help -> Check for updates gives me this:

image.png.7b781351adbbbb094901d16138831364.png

The auto update process is absolute rubbish! I always end up manually updating. We are now on 10.9.10 - there was a new update  last night. Jumping all the way from 10.1 to 10.9 I think you will notice lots of improvements but it is definitely nowhere near good enough yet.

• Ex Employees

Thanks for these reports. There was a previous issue with the auto-update that left some users stuck on  version 10.1. That's now fixed. Please let us know if the f3 shortcuts is not working on 10.9. You can install it from https://evernote.com/download/ like @Mike P mentioned. 

Because our releases are done in increments some may still see "you're up to date" a few days after a new release when checking. It can sometimes takes 1-2 weeks to get to a 100% release  to mitigate  potentially releasing a new issue to all users.