Mac 10.8.5 Issue - Blank or duplicate notebooks in notebook list

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Similar to problems garthbnyx encountered, I would like to provide more context and descriptions to the issue from where I encountered.

Recently, I was trying to re-organize my Evernote notebooks & notes in massive amount (I have 500+ notes categorized in tens of notebooks or stacks), something weird happens as shown in image below.

Two errors occurred:

1. Blank notebook
  2. Duplicated notebooks

PKqhRCj.png

How they happened: These all happened in my `(C) Notes` stack. I was initially moving my notes between notebooks and it went fine. However, when I began moving Notebooks between Stacksduplicated notebooks occurred (yellow & blue blocks). I thought deleting duplicated notebooks would work, so I emptied a couple of duplicated notebooks and deleted one duplicated notebook. To make things worse, the blank notebook occurred (orange block)(I guess it could be because I just deleted 1 duplicated notebook and left the other without a name, thus becoming a placeholder without an entity). Fearing more blank notebooks I would mess up, I just continued my re-organization and left more emerging duplicated notebooks as they were. Later when I checked my Evernote web client and Android version after sync, they both looked fine without errors.

What I tried: Thinking that my Evernote Mac version might be corrupted or messed up by my actions, I tried uninstall Evernote Mac along with all cached data & configurations removed using `AppCleaner`(if it really did).

rlI6GOEl.png

Still, even after a reboot of my Mac and a reinstall, nothing has changed. Considering the web client worked fine. Failing to get things work normally on my Mac version, I switched my re-organization environment to web client. Until I saw garthbnyx's same issue mentioning Mac and iOS versions, I doubt if Apple's versions of Evernote are vulnerable to such errors.

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  I don't think there's any similarity between one user editing one note on two devices,  and someone making a major revision in the architecture of the account - though the underlying cause is pretty much the same thing. 

What's shown and stored on your local device is also synced to the cloud,  and if you are making major changes,  it will take some time for that to synchronise correctly. 

You're moving dozens or hundreds of notes around and the server is trying to play catchup.  It would have been a good idea to carry out any changes over a period,  or leave the account overnight.

Sadly, trying to change what appeared to be happening mid way and reinstalling the app will probably only have made things worse.  If you keep a regular backup of your account,  now might be a time to see whether you can recreate what it looked like yesterday.  If you don't have a backup I can only suggest that you log out overnight and log back in tomorrow to see where the account was left. 

You may have to contemplate a manual repair to complete your reorganisation...

Thanks for your explanations and suggestions. My notebooks did look correct again after a day. Though the synchronization took a little longer than I expected. I'll try to manage my notes gently afterwards lol. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 12:03 AM, qwerta said:

Same Problems here, and i guess reason is deleted some Notebook.

update:Now i switch to use Evernote Legacy, No any Problems

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Well, I doubt the necessity to switch to older version despite seeing many people using older versions of Evernote. I know the v10 Evernote is new and some functions are not stable to use. But, I believe with some more future updates, the functionality would definitely be more stable and robust to use. 

What I like the v10 Evernote is the uniformity across platforms, since I use Evernote on Mac, iOS, Windows, Android, and occasionally web client. I used to find it difficult to set font size, colors or formats of my notes. Now it feels better. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Forrest Li said:

I doubt the necessity to switch to older version despite seeing many people using older versions of Evernote.

"Switch to" isn't an either/ or situation - the Legacy apps work alongside v10,  so its simply a question of choosing the right tool for the job.  If you can get things done efficiently without that,  then good for you.  Some of us use features - like Import Folders - that don't have work-arounds yet...

12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

"Switch to" isn't an either/ or situation - the Legacy apps work alongside v10,  so its simply a question of choosing the right tool for the job.  If you can get things done efficiently without that,  then good for you.  Some of us use features - like Import Folders - that don't have work-arounds yet...

Well, seems it's my bad to cause the misunderstanding. First time hearing about this version of Evernote and didn't know the "legacy" version was something like this. I thought the "legacy" Evernote is the meaning of older versions of it.

Thanks for explaining it and sorry for my ignorance.

• Like 2