2020 Evernote changes

EVERNOTE 2020 CHANGES MADE THE PROGRAM MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO USE IN WINDOWS, WEB AND ANDROID.

In his post of December 10, 2020 Mr.Small writes:

We are listening to and acting on your feedback. Working at the scale of millions of customers is challenging; virtually any decision will leave some people feeling elated and others displeased.

As an Evernote user for lore than 8 years, I am among the displeased users.  So displeased, I now find myself lookkng for a replacement.
The Evernote program's prior version was far superior to the current version, including the 3 that I use: Windows, Evernote.com, and Android. in the Windows and online versions, I can no longer look at my list of notes in a notebook adjacent to the side panel without also having to have 1/3 or more of the page cluttered with one open note at all times. This is true in the online version, and the Windows version; and whether one uses the snippet View, the card view of the list; and whether one uses the side list or the top list.

Most of the problems would be mitigated by the ability to collapse the Note panel on the right.

All that would be necessary is to set up the Note panel on the right (or the bottom in top list view) with an arrow allowing that panel to collapse, as in the SIDEBAR panel on the left. That would allow the user to see the sidebar with the list of Notes, Notebooks/Stacks, and tags together with a full listing of notes in a notebook — without having 1/3 or more of the screen cluttered with a Note. If I want to read or edit a note, I can open it. Why does SOME note have to clutter the screen at all times?

The Andoid version is nowhere near as useful as the prior Android version. Aside from the elimination of the useful interface, the program frequently freezes and does not allow a sync or movement of a Note to a different notebook.

All in all, after more than 8 years as a customer, I find myself looking for a replacement.

Again, if only the Note on the right side could be collapsed, the program would be much more useful. Thank you.

I am looking for a replacement program. Disgusted with the recent changes. They make the program much less useful and entirely too difficult to navigate.
  • Like 1
In his post of December 10, 2020 Mr.Small writes:

We are listening to and acting on your feedback. Working at the scale of millions of customers is challenging; virtually any decision will leave some people feeling elated and others displeased.

As an Evernote user for lore than 8 years, I am among the displeased users.  So displeased, I now find myself lookkng for a replacement.
The Evernote program's prior version was far superior to the current version, including the 3 that I use: Windows, Evernote.com, and Android. in the Windows and online versions, I can no longer look at my list of notes in a notebook adjacent to the side panel without also having to have 1/3 or more of the page cluttered with one open note at all times. This is true in the online version, and the Windows version; and whether one uses the snippet View, the card view of the list; and whether one uses the side list or the top list.

Most of the problems would be mitigated by the ability to collapse the Note panel on the right.

All that would be necessary is to set up the Note panel on the right (or the bottom in top list view) with an arrow allowing that panel to collapse, as in the SIDEBAR panel on the left. That would allow the user to see the sidebar with the list of Notes, Notebooks/Stacks, and tags together with a full listing of notes in a notebook — without having 1/3 or more of the screen cluttered with a Note. If I want to read or edit a note, I can open it. Why does SOME note have to clutter the screen at all times?

The Andoid version is nowhere near as useful as the prior Android version. Aside from the elimination of the useful interface, the program frequently freezes and does not allow a sync or movement of a Note to a different notebook.

All in all, after more than 8 years as a customer, I find myself looking for a replacement.

Again, if only the Note on the right side could be collapsed, the program would be much more useful. Thank you.

I am looking for a replacement program. Disgusted with the recent changes. They make the program much less useful and entirely too difficult to navigate.
  • Level 5*

Hi.  I do sympathise,  but there's an easy way to avoid the frustrations of the new version for a while at least.  Forewarned by the early reaction in the Forums I was able to stop my Windows and Android devices updating from the last public version,  and I've continued happily working with those apps.  I'd expect to do so for several months more,  while Evernote sort out the new systems and (hopefully) catch back up to where they were.

If you wish to continue to use the new app from time to time to check on progress try the Legacy desktop.  Otherwise simply uninstall Evernote version 10 and reinstall 6.25 from the link below.  Make sure to visit Tools > Options > General and untick "check for updates" in 6.25

Android is slightly more difficult - it's easier to stick with v10 if you can.

You may have an 'older version' option in the web version settings - if not,  I'm afraid that's not an option.