iPhone 6 not compatible with the latest Evernote app version

Hi! 

When I tried to update my Evernote app, it said "iOS must be updated" so I downloaded the latest version on my iPhone 6, but because it's an "old" phone, I can't download the latest iOS. And suddenly my Evernote app can't open on my phone anymore! I use it on my desktop, but I need it on my app too because I usually write on the app. It's so sad because Evernote didn't put into consideration that some people still have an iPhone 6 and don't want to upgrade their phone. 

Has anyone faced the same issue? Is there any possible solution to have my Evernote on my phone?

Thanks!

I just opted for a paid account today with one of the perks being that I can have it on additional devices including my phone only to find out that the Evernote iPhone app is not compatible with the iPhone 6. It needs iOS v13.2 or later (my phone 12.5). The 6 does everything I need it to and I am not planning to upgrade something that is not broken. I am very disappointed.

• Level 5

The root issue probably is that the framework on which EN v10 is build does not run on these older devices. The framework is using quite a lot of resources (as described in other threads here in the forum), so even if the iOS version would be allowed, the hardware would probably freak on supporting the demands to run it.

We have EN v10 running on an iPhone 6S+ (acceptable) and on an iPad Air 2 (pretty slow), both on iOS 14.3. These devices have the first generation of 64Bit mobile CPUs. The prior iPhones and iPads AFAIK run on 32bit CPUs, that are far weaker in performance, and probably have less RAM as well.

There are a lot of apps that will not run any longer on this older phones or tablets, and now with EN there is one more.

Or with other words: You can’t make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hey man, out of interest, why are you still using an iPhone 6? While I agree that it is one of Apple's best models, it's old as dirt! Why don't you upgrade? I also used to own one for many years. However, I started experiencing severe problems with it in the last months of using it. Upgrade, and you won't regret it! Cheers.

• Level 5

Why don’t you use an iPhone 6S ?

It got a new battery 2 years ago, it is still working fine, and it is running on the latest iOS version.

If you had trouble with it, it may just have been an aging battery. The tact frequency of any processor depends on the voltage it receives from the power supply. An aging battery has a rising inner resistance, which leads to a lower voltage, so the device will feel slow. New battery, new life, for 80 bucks.

Believe me, a new battery is the best value-for-money upgrade you can buy.

And, BTW, we have newer devices as well. But the 6S+ is still alive and kicking, even when from the post you refer to more than a year has passed. It is on iOS 15.3.1 now, still getting all updates, still running everything we have installed on it. I think we replace it when it falls out of updates.

But I am pretty sure we still keep it. I run an iPhone 6 (without the S, on iOS 12, still getting Security updates from Apple) that has its second life now as a superb webcam for my home office. Maybe we will think about replacing that one 😇