Some notes still appear blank in Evernote for Windows v 10.5.7 build 2171

Having upgraded the Windows client to v 10.5.7 recently, I have just noticed some old notes (created pre-upgrade) are not showing any content when I try to view them. The title is shown but there is no body, just the 'start writing, drag files, or choose a template' line that you see when you create a new note.

The notes are not empty though - I can view the contents in the Android client (v 8.13.3). I can also see them in the web client but only if I switch to the classic editor view in the bottom right - the 'new' editor shows them as blank in the web client. I don't see an option to use the classic editor in the Windows client so I've been unable to test that there.

I've read the other posts in this forum about a similar problem that Shane reported on Nov 5th and that was apparently fixed on Wed this week. I've tried logging out of Evernote and back in again and I've also tried reinstalling - neither made any difference. The affected notes are not shared so presumably aren't covered by the recent fix.

I've tried editing the notes on the Android and Web clients but they still show as blank on the Windows client. When viewing the contents with the classic editor in the web client, I duplicated one of the notes and the body of the duplicate still wouldn't show when I switched back to the new editor. When I edited the note in the new editor, the (invisible) body was replaced by the new content - so, basically, when using the Windows client (which is my main client) I have no way of telling if a note is genuinely empty or just not showing me the contents and any edit I do to it will silently remove all the old content. This is dangerous.

There's nothing particularly special about these notes - they contain tables and some small images and text within the tables. It just seems that the new editor won't render them for some reason which is very frustrating.

Any advice on how to make these notes visible on the Windows client would be much appreciated (or, ideally, a bug fix to stop this happening!).

• Evernote Expert

I've not seen this particular expression of the blank note issue. Typically quitting the program and then restarting deals with most of the blank note problems. It would interesting to know if there is anything common to the notes that are blank. For example are they all web clippings? All Emails forwarded to your account?

This sounds like an issue with specific old notes.  Why not try the following options...

In no particular order:

• Edit the note in the web browser version - say add a blank space at the bottom of the note
  • If that doesn't work create a new note in the web browser with some random text at the top. Then merge the new note and the problem one. Then delete the random text and any merge information. If you can now see the wanted note content in the new note on the desktop then you've worked around the issue.
  • Failing all that, revert to the legacy version of Evernote until it is possible to work out what's going on.