EN YouTube Dec 17 2020 - Behind the Scenes [Home Edition]: Designing the New Apps

Video posted to EN YouTube Dec 17 2020 - Behind the Scenes [Home Edition]: Designing the New Apps — a discussion between Ian Small CEO and Nate Fortin SVP Design -> video link: https://youtu.be/nggD3PMO0EM

Quoted from Nate Fortin (SVP of Design), at 3:09 in the Dec 17 EN YouTube video: “It starts with making users part of the process... We have a very user centered approach to design..., Watching users use the real <beta> product in real ways...” These statements were in response to Ian’s question about how did Nate decide on the new design release. Sorry, excuse me while I choke on my dinner....  Did EN management actually listen to the feedback from these users and address (at least) the critical and major reported failures before releasing the first public version???? I’m not talking about the missing features here, which is a whole other thing, just the parts of the new v10 code base that did not work as expected/designed. I can’t imagine any user would consider that, for example, getting multiple duplicated notes every time you edit one is a new “editing feature” that they wanted, yet this “feature” (heavy sarcasm here, this is actually a critical level failure) was implemented in the first v10.0 public release of the product ...really????? Just because you say you have a QA process doesn’t mean you actually have a good one.
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, luvmyc6 said:

Video posted to EN YouTube Dec 17 2020 - Behind the Scenes [Home Edition]: Designing the New Apps — a discussion between Ian Small CEO and Nate Fortin SVP Design -> video link: https://youtu.be/nggD3PMO0EM

Quoted from Nate Fortin (SVP of Design), at 3:09 in the Dec 17 EN YouTube video: “It starts with making users part of the process... We have a very user centered approach to design..., Watching users use the real <beta> product in real ways...” These statements were in response to Ian’s question about how did Nate decide on the new design release. Sorry, excuse me while I choke on my dinner....  Did EN management actually listen to the feedback from these users and address (at least) the critical and major reported failures before releasing the first public version???? I’m not talking about the missing features here, which is a whole other thing, just the parts of the new v10 code base that did not work as expected/designed. I can’t imagine any user would consider that, for example, getting multiple duplicated notes every time you edit one is a new “editing feature” that they wanted, yet this “feature” (heavy sarcasm here, this is actually a critical level failure) was implemented in the first v10.0 public release of the product ...really????? Just because you say you have a QA process doesn’t mean you actually have a good one.

I wonder how many users are seeing these problems. I've been using v10 (on the web where it was first called v6) for a year now and on android for a couple of months in the beta program. I haven't seen any duplicated notes.

11 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

... getting multiple duplicated notes every time you edit one ...

11 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

I wonder how many users are seeing these problems. I've been using v10 (on the web where it was first called v6) for a year now and on android for a couple of months in the beta program. I haven't seen any duplicated notes.

The duplicate notes issue was in the first v10.0 release of the product. I encountered this issue myself on the iOS version 10.0.0, where I quickly ended up with over 25 duplicated notes of just one note I was editing within the first hour of using the new version. I ended up with a few other edited notes being duplicated before I realized what was happening. When I checked the forum, I saw that others had documented having this same issue. Fortunately, EN team quickly addressed the duplicated notes issue and it was resolved in one of the next releases. My point was, how did an issue like this get past beta testing when myself and many others encountered it almost right away after getting the new iOS v10 release?

I should clarify that I am questioning the quality and timing of the release and the lack of communication about the release, not the fact that they created a new code base. When I first got the new v10 iOS, I encountered many failure type of issues, the one stated above being the most critical, so much so that I was afraid my hard work was compromised and my data was corrupted. The performance was extremely slow, the search feature was horribly buggy and my screen kept flashing constantly when trying to move around in the app. I still have some phantom notes in my database that can only be found during a search (as long as I know what to search for), but they have no content and cannot be deleted and I wonder how many more do I have that I don’t know about?

To their credit, EN has been busy applying fixes, stabilizing the performance, and adding back features with release updates regularly coming out. A couple months later, and the iOS version of the app seems to have settled in nicely, is more stable, and performance has improved (but could still be better). However, If they are able to make improvements so quickly then why were they in such a rush to release it before it was truly ready? It arrived with a bunch of problems that should have been caught and fixed during QA/Beta testing.

Now the Windows version is another matter. I MUST remain using the Legacy v6 version on my Windows computer, due to the fact that it is still not ready for prime time and some features that are critical to my workflow process are still missing (e.g. FULL export as enx or HTML so I have a clean and safe backup of my data). First, EN should have clearly communicated the v10 rollout and that features were severely cut back to start, second, given us the opportunity to choose whether to install or not, and third, told us about the legacy version being available and for how long. I am hopeful that the missing core v6 features will be added back to v10 at some point, but due to the horrible lack of communication, I have no idea when or if planned at all. In the meantime, I will continue to watch developments and release notes with great interest. I don't plan on moving to the new Windows version anytime soon... I just hope they give us some advanced and clear notice before they turn off syncing for the legacy windows version.

6 hours ago, luvmyc6 said:

The duplicate notes issue was in the first v10.0 release of the product. I encountered this issue myself on the iOS version 10.0.0, where I quickly ended up with over 25 duplicated notes of just one note I was editing within the first hour of using the new version. I ended up with a few other edited notes being duplicated before I realized what was happening. When I checked the forum, I saw that others had documented having this same issue. Fortunately, EN team quickly addressed the duplicated notes issue and it was resolved in one of the next releases. My point was, how did an issue like this get past beta testing when myself and many others encountered it almost right away after getting the new iOS v10 release?

i think this bug must be pretty rare, otherwise there's no way the product would have been released. 

Also, I remember Evernote clearly communicating that a lot of features are missing in the first v10 release and that many users would be best served sticking to the legacy release.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:52 AM, ehrt74 said:

i think this bug must be pretty rare, otherwise there's no way the product would have been released. 

Ah, but they did release the product with this bug. Here is a direct quote from the blog post on Dec 10 2020 from Ian Small CEO:

In the earliest versions of our releases, for example, some customers saw their notes repeatedly duplicated while they were editing them.“

• Like 1
22 hours ago, luvmyc6 said:

Ah, but they did release the product with this bug. Here is a direct quote from the blog post on Dec 10 2020 from Ian Small CEO:

In the earliest versions of our releases, for example, some customers saw their notes repeatedly duplicated while they were editing them.“

"Some customers". Why do you think the bug is not rare?