Clicking tag in sidebar

This problem has been well documented. When you click on a tag in the sidebar it filters on that tag AND all the sub tags. This is very strange default behaviour and I have not yet heard of anybody thinking this is sensible. The EN team have not in any way explained or justified the behaviour.

In the first released version of 10.5 on the web a few weeks ago (10.5.1 I think) this behaviour had changed to selecting just the single tag. I was therefore looking forward to the release of the Windows desktop version of 10.5. Sadly the Windows desktop version (10.5.6) has retained the non-sensical selection of tags and all sub-tags. Looking at the web (now also on 10.5.6) this has also reverted back to the selection of tags and all sub-tags.

Why? I'm fed up with this error message when I accidentally click a tag after having been selecting tags that way for years. The default behaviour of the main tags window is now to select the single tag rather than this being an option via the three dots. This is a huge step forward but the sidebar needs to be consistent with this.

image.png.36003e35d4816fb6bf5cdcb17e308493.png

• Mike P changed the title to Clicking tag in sidebar

UPDATE

If you have the sidebar minimised and then select a tag from the pop out menu that appears when you roll over the tag icon you get the single tag selected. I doubt that the two behaviours are supposed to be different (ie it's a bug) and therefore hope that selecting a single tag is the intended behaviour. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I do hope to see further improvements to use and filtering of nested tags.

Me too. Top of my list would be to return the ability to shift click further tags to select them in the sidebar. If I have a tag hierarchy in view  in the sidebar  I don't want to have to open another one (in the filter menu) to perform simple tasks like filtering by a few tags

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Mike P said:

Me too. Top of my list would be to return the ability to shift click further tags to select them in the sidebar. If I have a tag hierarchy in view  in the sidebar  I don't want to have to open another one (in the filter menu) to perform simple tasks like filtering by a few tags

I agree something along those lines (that allows easy filtering by multiple tags and perhaps a modifier button to allow filtering by all tags in a hierarchy (in an "OR" fashion rather than the current "AND") would be an excellent improvement.

• Like 1
On 12/16/2020 at 9:49 AM, Mike P said:

UPDATE

If you have the sidebar minimised and then select a tag from the pop out menu that appears when you roll over the tag icon you get the single tag selected. I doubt that the two behaviours are supposed to be different (ie it's a bug) and therefore hope that selecting a single tag is the intended behaviour. 

Sadly the patch released on 16 Dec (10.5.7)  to fix some unspecified bugs did not include this one. 😒

• Like 1