Request: [Jump to End] feature - in UI

dmitry_bond

Idea

Hi.

Every time when I need to add something to the note on smartphone I have to spend 20-40 seconds scrolling it down.

The note is not so big (700-1000 lines of text) but scolling on a devices takes a time.

It would be nice to have a [Jump to the End of Note] action in UI to avoid long manual scrolling and go directly to adding text to the end of note!

Thanks.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi - general rule of thumb on mobiles is that short notes are better - less time to sync,  less to lose if it goes wrong, and in a longer thread, generally quicker to jump to the section (i.e. the note) that you need rather than scrolling through lots of text.  I keep a template for some actions so I can add an update note quickly,  and a saved search for a linking keyword (part of the template) so that I can see all notes on that topic quickly and sort them in created date order to find the latest one if I need it.

It's also possible to use table rows for entries and make the latest addition by adding a row at the top of a note rather than the bottom - but as I said above... there are some security advantages for shorter notes that makes me prefer them.

Jump to end on mobile device has been a requested feature by MANY users, for years now.  I know this because I've googled a solution to this problem many times - hoping for an update on a fix - only to find, each time, that the requests remain unsolved.  Whether it defaults to bottom or top is not a big deal (users will have different preferences), but there should definitely be either an option to (a) set your preference, or (b) a command/gesture to quickly jump to bottom. Touching top-left of iPhone already jumps to top...but nothing to get to bottom of note.  Surprised that EN hasn't addressed this already with so many requests in various forums, posts...but hoping one day they will.  Perhaps one more request will help...

• Like 2
On 12/13/2020 at 4:26 PM, gazumped said:

Hi - general rule of thumb on mobiles is that short notes are better - less time to sync,  less to lose if it goes wrong, and in a longer thread, generally quicker to jump to the section (i.e. the note) that you need rather than scrolling through lots of text.  I keep a template for some actions so I can add an update note quickly,  and a saved search for a linking keyword (part of the template) so that I can see all notes on that topic quickly and sort them in created date order to find the latest one if I need it.

It's also possible to use table rows for entries and make the latest addition by adding a row at the top of a note rather than the bottom - but as I said above... there are some security advantages for shorter notes that makes me prefer them.

It is not about creating notes on mobile. It is about accessing existing notes created on other EverNote devices!

For example: I have notes with some investigation materials (synopsizes, discussion logs, though recordings, etc) and quite often I need to quickly look something at the end of it. For such purpose - jump-to-end is super useful feature!

Even in normal every-day mental work I'm generating about 0.7-1 Mb of text every month (in reality more but I count here only the texts which are really valuable for me) spread over 3-4 different notes - jumping to the end is wanted feature in such situation. I do not need to edit it on mobile. Only view.
Btw, one more super annoying thing on mobile devices - every "wrong click" try to put a node into editor! While in real I only need to view, scroll and find something there. So, one more super-wanted feature - "force read-only mode" and make it always on! Because wrong behavior of EverNote on mobile devices - is a 99% typical problem.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, dmitry_bond said:

It is not about creating notes on mobile. It is about accessing existing notes created on other EverNote devices!

On 12/13/2020 at 11:40 AM, dmitry_bond said:

when I need to add something to the note on smartphone I have to spend 20-40 seconds scrolling it down.

Hi.  Your original request seemed to be about editing notes,  not just referencing them;  and in either case my suggestion applies even more to access via mobile when you may be trying to download a large note over a slow mobile connection.  Keeping notes small and using a table of contents note as an index means you can load a couple of paragraphs about a specific topic very quickly,  or add/ edit comments quickly without risking the loss of an entire document.

Plus:  using smaller notes is something you can implement quickly.  Asking Evernote to add or change a feature won't happen quickly,  and may or may not happen at all.

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Your original request seemed to be about editing notes,  not just referencing them;  and in either case my suggestion applies even more to access via mobile when you may be trying to download a large note over a slow mobile connection.  Keeping notes small and using a table of contents note as an index means you can load a couple of paragraphs about a specific topic very quickly,  or add/ edit comments quickly without risking the loss of an entire document.

Plus:  using smaller notes is something you can implement quickly.  Asking Evernote to add or change a feature won't happen quickly,  and may or may not happen at all.

Edit or read-only - that is how I adjusted my usage of EverNote. If it is deadly slow on smartphones (and if EverNote ignores that), ok, then I will be happy with read-only mode - should be enough for most of my needs.

For sure this is not about downloading speed. Because I clearly see that synchronization was completed fast (also all these notebooks I keep in offline-mode, so data is pre-loaded).

A simple example when it has no sense to split to "smaller notes" - a diary. Writing a diary is much convenient on per-month basis, so one month = one note. I'm writing it since 2011. As I can see during all the time max note size is 420kb (that was April 2019). 

• Like 1