Behaviour of bullet lists

Go to solution Solved by yJan,

• Solution

Hello!

I have a problem with the latest version of Evernote, 10.1.7.

I am unable to create a bulleted list, that keeps spawning new empty checkboxes, like the behaviour of Evernote in the earlier versions. Back then, I could press enter and the list predictably behaved in a Microsoft Word way: Evernote added a new empty checkbox before my text fieId and I could enter the description for the new task. And that was the desired behaviour. But now, the checkbox list seems to work by principles I don't understand.

( there is a difference between newly created lists and lists, you have imported from an earlier version of Evernote )

Can you help me?

• Like 1
  • yJan changed the title to Behaviour of bullet lists
  • 2 weeks later...

I came searching for info on this bulleted list plus Checkbox/ToDo items as well. The behavior is confusing to me and isn't working like in the past. I'm trying to understand what it does and how much it's going to mess up my note taking patterns and routines. And if it's an intended design or a bug. 

I used to use Bulleted lists to take Notes.. and occasionally a line would be a ToDo item so i would type the [] (that's [ and ] to get a check box) at the beginning of the line. This now turns ALL of the bullets to be checkboxes! ALL! when I look at older notes they show up fine -- bullets and the beginning of the line has a checkbox. So the Editor can display this ok. 

I've played around and figured out:

• If you type a space or any character on a bulleted line and then type [] you get a check box.  so I can try to 'learn' a new muscle memory pattern to get this same result.
  • But now the checkboxes turn the entire line into a Strikeout format  when checked off -- the prior checkboxes didn't do that. My prior ToDo item lists that are checked don't have strike out. It only impacts newly checked items. Very inconsistent -- so this one feels like it's not about how the editor displays checked To Dos. 

1 hour ago, aerialsoul said:

I came searching for info on this bulleted list plus Checkbox/ToDo items as well. The behavior is confusing to me and isn't working like in the past. I'm trying to understand what it does and how much it's going to mess up my note taking patterns and routines. And if it's an intended design or a bug. 

There are now two distinct types. Check boxes and checklists. Checklists are the default type and have all the features you describe. They also have the useful ability to drag items around to reorder them. Checkboxes are obtained through the insert menu (or space [ ] as you rightly say). They can be added anywhere and you can add multiple check boxes in a row for example. If you add them at the begiining of the line they do tend to revert to checklists. It's different. Some people will like the new systyem some won't.

• Like 2