Evernote causing slow startup

Greyhead

Idea

My PC has been becoming increasingly slow to come out of hibernation and start up.  It's a relatively new Lenovo P51 with 16Gb of RAM, a 500Gb HDD and a Xeon E3-1505M 4-core processor and doesn't run massive programmes.

After much testing it looks like Evernote is the cause of the issue, as if I simply disable it, the PC is fine.   I presume on startup/unhibernate, Evernote synchronises, and this is what causes the issue.

I've been a big Evernote fan, used if for years and recommended to all friends and relations. Is there an easy fix for this?

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Greyhead said:

My PC has been becoming increasingly slow to come out of hibernation and start up.  It's a relatively new Lenovo P51 with 16Gb of RAM, a 500Gb HDD and a Xeon E3-1505M 4-core processor and doesn't run massive programmes.

After much testing it looks like Evernote is the cause of the issue, as if I simply disable it, the PC is fine.   I presume on startup/unhibernate, Evernote synchronises, and this is what causes the issue.

I've been a big Evernote fan, used if for years and recommended to all friends and relations. Is there an easy fix for this?

Performance of EN is orders of magnitude better with a SSD.  It can be an easy fix depending upon what it takes to access the HDD in your machine.  Not nearly as expensive as it once was.  You can get 500 GB for less than $100.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Greyhead said:

my typo above...I actually have an SSD

Okay.  The majority of the time the hardware solution solves EN speed issues.  Personal experience was to install an SSD 7 years ago and have not had speed issues since while my note count has risen to almost 48k.  But not all use cases are the same.

Other recommendations are to turn off context if it is enabled and shut down any other contentious processes on the machine.  My "favorite" cycle consumer is Microsoft's indexing for search function.  FWIW.

• Like 1