Notebook/Search pinning.

timoc

Idea

Hi,

I would like to be able to ensure that when looking at a structured notebook, that it has a mechanism to ensure the structure is immediately available. 

I can imagine this being something like:

• Default sort order of a notebook, as a search inside the notebook.

e.g. Notebook is a set of pages numbered 1-100.

default notebook search is "notes titled 10-20 in reverse order".

When i select that notebook, the order of notes is: [sorted 20-10],[view sort: 1-9,21-100]

• 'Pinning' notes by having special tags that relate to a normal document structure, e.g. $toc = table of contents, $glossary, $appendix, 

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, timoc said:

I would like to be able to ensure that when looking at a structured notebook, that it has a mechanism to ensure the structure is immediately available. 

You posted a feature request in the web forum.  Did you mean a general request or discussion post?

>>Default sort order of a notebook

The Windows platform has a feature for assigning sort order to a notebook.   
The other platforms just apply the last used order in the account; title or date

>>as a search inside the notebook

Evernote supports saved searches.  For easy access, a shortcut can be assigned

>>structured notebook ... e.g. Notebook is a set of pages numbered 1-100 ...notes titled 10-20 in reverse order

To be clear, a notebook is a collection of notes 
You can specify page# in the note title, and sort in reverse title order   

>>the order of notes is: [sorted 20-10],[view sort: 1-9,21-100]

Not sure what you're asking     
This is an alphabetic sequencing.  Each title needs to be the same length, 001,  002,...021, ...100

>>'Pinning' notes by having special tags that relate to a normal document structure, e.g. $toc = table of contents, $glossary, $appendix, 

No pinning feature but you can control the sequence by specifying these as the note title

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

>> You posted a feature request in the web forum.  Did you mean a general request or discussion post?

Both. Not sure where else to post features. I am posting solutions more than questions, so my bad. I outline my reasoning near the end.

>>>>Default sort order of a notebook

>>The Windows platform has a feature for assigning sort order to a notebook.  

>>The other platforms just apply the last used order in the account; title or date

I'm more of a mobile user.

>> >>as a search inside the notebook

>> Evernote supports saved searches.  For easy access, a shortcut can be assigned

I know this, but it is not part of the notebook. I cannot export and import the notebook and keep the structure.

>> >>structured notebook ... e.g. Notebook is a set of pages numbered 1-100 ...notes titled 10-20 in reverse order
>> To be clear, a notebook is a collection of notes 

To be clearer, a notebook is a set of notes. in the mathematical or database sense. Search can be used to define a subset of that set inside that notebook. The notes in this set can prioritized to show above the in the note list.

>> You can specify page# in the note title, and sort in reverse title order   
Understood.

>> >>the order of notes is: [sorted 20-10],[view sort: 1-9,21-100]

>> Not sure what you're asking     
>> This is an alphabetic sequencing.  Each title needs to be the same length, 001,  002,...021, ...100

Currently you can only order the whole set of notes in a book, as outlined above with the windows use case. You can only view a reduced set with filters and searches. My idea here was to introduce subsets as searches of some kind that stay with the notebook and give default visual order to a notebook. It also has the bonus of keeping its structure outside of the Evernote environment. Tags define sets of notes across multiple notebooks, but even in a notebook are still reductive not additive.

>> >>'Pinning' notes by having special tags that relate to a normal document structure, e.g. $toc = table of contents, $glossary, $appendix, 

>> No pinning feature but you can control the sequence by specifying these as the note title

Only on windows, with the assumption that the whole notebook constitutes an ordered set, or i use a personal (not embedded or automatable) sorting prefix of some kind e.g. "[Chapter 1]" "[Dogs and Gods]". This is a bit backward when you have tags and searches.