Templates & Formatting

Mike Thicke

Idea

The new template feature has a lot of potential. However, attempting to make my own custom template was a powerful reminder of just how bad Evernote's formatting features are. No styles, inconsistent and difficult table formatting, weird color behaviors (especially in dark mode).... It is essentially impossible to recreate the sample templates from the Evernote client! 

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Mike Thicke said:

The new template feature has a lot of potential. However, attempting to make my own custom template was a powerful reminder of just how bad Evernote's formatting features are. No styles, inconsistent and difficult table formatting, weird color behaviors (especially in dark mode).... It is essentially impossible to recreate the sample templates from the Evernote client! 

I do formatting outside of Evernote; working in other apps (Word/Pages).  Copy/Paste into an Evernote note.

I also directly edit the underlying .enml code using a test editor app

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mike Thicke said:

Sure, you can do that, but that's a workaround for what should be doable from within the client. Editing .enml code is especially inaccessible to 99.9% of users.

imho  The Evernote is adequate for basic notes; but not for serious work.
I recognize this reality, and use the best apps for the job.

The .enml code is accessible by exporting the note.

No comment on "what should be doable", I'm working with what is doable.

Archived