2 Different Versions Notes Web Evernote

jshan17

Hi, 

I have been working on one document for web Evernote and for some reason there have been a few instances where I have different copies of the same note that differ by a few hours. I want my notes to save automatically and not have 2 different versions with one older version. I have notes auto synced on my desktop but this is on the web version. Are notes not saved and synced automatically immediately on the web version? A site help article says that this can be due to a note being edited on 2 different devices but this note was edited on the same device all on the web application. Why is this the case and how often is this an issue for others generally? Any recommendations for how to prevent this from happening again? 

Thanks, 

jman17

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sync works by saving your work to the server,  and yes,  the Web version will save periodically - look out for a green check mark that swirls around.  If you have Evernote open on another device however,  that device will also be saving notes periodically,  and getting updates for the changes you have made.  If one or other connection to the server has a problem,  Evernote doesn't know which of the two devices logged in with your details is actually the live 'you'.  So it saves both versions of the note it has,  to allow you to choose.

Suggestion would be - manually sync and sign out of Evernote on other devices if you're going to spend time on the web version,  and give the web version plenty of time to complete a sync after you finish.  Duplications (conflicting edits) may still occur - to completely avoid that,  copy your document into another offline editor - Notepad or Word - and do your changes there.  Copy the completed text back when you finish.

Archived