Help! Evernote hasn't stored my notes for past week.

Can anybody help me? I'm starting to panic - my life is on Evernote, and the recent stuff has gone missing!

Last night I thought it was strange that some additions I made recently weren't there. But as the day has progressed I've found more and more recent text to be missing. Now with a thorough search it appears Evernote has failed to record anything I've done for the past ~week. These notes represented the result of many hours of work. Not just my job, but a deep financial analysis at home, plus notes from several hours of product research, and also summaries of time I spent learning some programming, plus records of important conversations and scheduling details. I'm in quite some trouble if I can't get this stuff back.

As I start to investigate, the following information seems relevant:

1. If I make a change using the Windows 10 client on *either* my home PC or my work PC, the spinner spins and stops, indicating the change has synchronised successfully, but if I go out and back in, the change has not been stored.

2. If I go to the Evernote website, all changes I make are stored. However when I go back and look at the Windows client, the changes are not recorded there.

Can anybody help me please?

Chris.

**Update after some more investigation: (and BTW I am definitely using the latest version on all PCs)

1. If I install the Win 10 Evernote client on a new PC and synch, then any changes I make are stored.

2. When I remove Evernote from one of the offending PCs (home PC) and then re-install it, it doesn't seem to do a full download of the notebooks. I know that would take several hours, but the synch seems to only take 10s, and any changes I make are not stored.

Could there be something wrong with the local copy of my notes? On BOTH my home and work PCs?

**Further update:

My home PC definitely seems to be the cause of the problem. It won't let me delete notes or make any changes to the contents of notes. It looks like the edits are made, but then if I go out and back in, the edits didn't stick. I've done *everything* on the troubleshooting page/s. Aaaaarrrgggghhhhhhhhhh! 

• Level 5*

If your changes are on the evernote.com website, you are fine, you just need to fix a client issue.

If you have any notes that are local but not on the cloud, and you cannot get them to sync, export them via the File|Export menu. That way if they get messed up in trying to fix stuff, you can just import them.

To fix the local client, try the following:

1.  Press CTRL-Help menu. I would run the various "Fix" menu options, seeing if after each one, the notes are fixed.
  2. Uninstall Evernote from your home PC (after exporting anything you think is only on it, because this next step is irreversable)
  3. Delete your c:\users\username\Evernote folder.  Or rename it, but if it is corrupt, it it isn't much use in saving. If you don't delete this folder and all in it, removing/reinstalling Evernote won't clean up your database. It uses the same database. It just cleans up install issues. That is why above you only see a 10 second sync. It didn't do squat in database cleanup.
  4. Reboot your PC.
  5. Reinstall Evernote.

See what that does for you.

Thank you! This was exactly what I needed. I had tried all the fixes in the Help. I still lost all my entries for last week, because the system let me enter them and synch them without error. The changes only disappeared when I exited each note and went back in again, so it took me a week to notice that they weren't being stored. But at least I now have it working again.

Much appreciated.

Archived