tag suggestion

zjphillips

Idea

Hi. Could you make it so that when entering tags (in the web clipper) you can begin typing ANY word in the tag to trigger auto-complete?

Example: if I have a tag "rock music", I'd like to be able to start typing "music" in the tag field and have it trigger an auto-complete suggestion for "rock music". Right now, you have to start typing the first word in the tag or the auto-complete won't launch.

This used to be possible but the most recent update changed this! 

(I have a lot of tags so it's hard to remember the exact phrasing without the auto-complete.)

3 replies to this idea

There are many programs where I use multi-word tags to create groupings because the program doesn't support it (like Pocket), so using multi-word tags is useful and so is being able to search on any word in that tag is equally useful.

You might get some push-back on this idea because Evernote allows you to create a hierarchy of tags, Music - Rock, and so it is more powerful because you could filter your notes on "Music" or refine it down to "Rock".  And having each word as a unique tag allows you to have something tagged as Music + Rock or History + Rock or even Music + History + Rock. 

Where I found this useful is it made it easier to just file notes, because the heirarchy wasn't built into the tag name itself, so I didn't have to think as hard about where/how to tag a note - but that doesn't mean it suits your approach.

Can you expand upon why multi-word tags works better for you versus creating a hierarchy of music tags?

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, CraigZ said:

Can you expand upon why multi-word tags works better for you versus creating a hierarchy of music tags?

The tag hierarcy only exists on specific menus in the Win/Mac/Web platforms.  In other menus/platforms we have to work with an alphabetic list.

I find it useful to prefix my tagnames; in your example  Music Rock aaaaaa
It reflects the tag hierarchy.

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The tag hierarcy only exists on specific menus in the Win/Mac/Web platforms.  In other menus/platforms we have to work with an alphabetic list.

I find it useful to prefix my tagnames; in your example  Music Rock aaaaaa

That's a pain (to not have features consistent across platforms).  Definitely searching on individual words is useful (I use that heavily in Pocket, as stated above)

Archived