Import from Filemaker Pro 13

I created a simple database using Filemaker 13 for Mac. The application keeps crashing and I was encouraged to upgrade to the current version, but my needs are too basic to justify the cost. I'd much rather upgrade to premium Evernote if it's possible to import what I have. I have used Evernote for years for very rudimentary lists and such. The Filemaker database is a couple of steps up from that: 9 fields, one of which contains sometimes lengthy notes, plus one field in which I attach files, usually PDFs of documents (I used this database to store and search for my research notes and related reports/documents). Filemaker's export option says the formats it will export to are comma-separated text, DBF, merge, HTML tables, XML, and Excel .xlsx. There are about 1300 records.

The ideal scenario is that I export the database in a format that allows me then to upload it to a Notebook with all the notes intact (even more ideal: all my keywords turn into tags). Any suggestions? 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, markobbie@gmail.com said:

The ideal scenario is that I export the database in a format that allows me then to upload it to a Notebook with all the notes intact (even more ideal: all my keywords turn into tags). Any suggestions? 

Evernote/Mac has a scripting layer.  I was able to parse a .csv file and create notes with titles and tags
I'm not sure about processing file attachments

23 hours ago, DTLow said:

Evernote/Mac has a scripting layer.  I was able to parse a .csv file and create notes with titles and tags
I'm not sure about processing file attachments

I don't know scripting or parsing from the man on the moon. But I would love advice on which file format to try in Evernote when exporting the Filemaker data. 

If I can't attach the actual PDFs, that's tolerable, since they are on my hard drive and the database entries will tell me the file names to search for. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, markobbie@gmail.com said:

I don't know scripting or parsing from the man on the moon. But I would love advice on which file format to try in Evernote when exporting the Filemaker data. 

Actually doing some research, I see that Filemaker is also scriptible
Given that, my solution would be more  Filemaker > Evernote without the export

Our friends at Veritrope have even written the script   http://veritrope.com/code/filemaker-record-to-evernote-as-note/

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, markobbie@gmail.com said:

I appreciate your attempts to help me, but this is way over my head. 

Ok; when you're ready to take on scripting, come back to the forums and folks here can give you assistance

To other Mac users, scripting is built into the Mac OS and Evernote/Mac
Its a nice feature to make use of

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, markobbie@gmail.com said:

I was under the impression that Evernote and its forum welcome customers who aren't necessarily programmers. 

I'm sorry if I gave the impression.  It was not my intention

Meanwhile, I'll continue thinking about a solution that doesnt involve scripting.  Hopefully other users will respond 

Archived