Copy and Paste from PDF preview in Note

Chris Masterjohn

Idea

I don't really consider this a "feature request" as much as a request to be able to remove an obstruction to doing things in Evernote that you can do anywhere else. If I add a pdf to a notebook, it becomes a note. I can open it and read it. I should also be able to copy and paste from it using normal keyboard controls, but can't.

This is extremely obstructive to my work flow.

Consider the case that prompted me to write this note. I have a research study in an Evernote notebook, and want to quickly find the pubmed link to link to on my blog. The simplest way to do this is to copy the title and paste it into pubmed. Yet, I cannot copy and paste. How do I get around this? I have to open in up in a different form. The simplest way to do that is to double click on the pdf form, but that downloads the pdf and creates a mess on my computer. So, if Evernote is my primary place for keeping PDFs, an unintended consequence of this is that to try to salvage basic workflow I have a new copy of the same PDF on my computer for every single time I want to copy and paste from the same PDF.

Alternatively, I could keep a separate file system on my computer for those things. But the point of something like Evernote should be seamless integration of my workflow.

Please fix this.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Chris Masterjohn said:

I don't really consider this a "feature request" as much as a request to be able to remove an obstruction to doing things in Evernote that you can do anywhere else. If I add a pdf to a notebook, it becomes a note. I can open it and read it. I should also be able to copy and paste from it using normal keyboard controls, but can't.

You didn't indicate your platform or version.
On my Mac and iPad, I'm able to copy/paste from text pdfs
ocr'd pdfs also work well

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Chris Masterjohn said:

This list says that command C works when you are editing a note:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313358-What-are-the-keyboard-shortcuts-in-Evernote-for-Mac-

It should also work when you open a PDF in Evernote.

Here's an example from my MacScreen Shot 2017-01-27 at 8.42.00 AM.png
 Mac OS 10.12.3 EN Version 6.11 Beta 1 (454563 Direct)

There was an issue with selecting text in pdfs but the latest release fixed it

Archived