(Archived) Running local and net evernotes-easy?

I just got my invite to try 3beta. The website wisely urges us 2.2 users not to switch over all at once. But I am wondering how that works. Will I now have TWO buttons on the browser so I can decide which notes go to beta and which to the local version? What have other folks done? I have only one db, and I do not really want to manage two or have to click twice for every clip for the next few months until we are out of beta.

Suggestions? Thanks.

If you're a power user, don't be so hasty to switch. By power, I mean you like the following:

• [*:c6539]ability to organize your tags in alphabetical order (tags can have children though). Note that tags are basically "dumb" categories.
    [*:c6539]ability to have your automatic (keyword) categories (replaced by saved searches) mingling with your tags; ability to sort saved searches manually; ability to have a hierarchy of saved searches
    [*:c6539]ability to have more than 32 (!) saved searches
    [*:c6539]ability to have automatic categories (filtered on attributes, e.g., when created, contains image, etc.) mingling with your tags and saved searches
    [*:c6539]ability to do OR combinations of your tags. Currently you can find out what notes have tag A AND tag B, but not tag A OR tag B
    [*:c6539]saved searches and attributes don't behave as well when trying to do combinations, i.e., right now, no way to tell you exactly what notes are in Notebook A that were created yesterday - the created yesterday attribute gives you from all notebooks
    [*:c6539]ability to edit checkbox notes online (currently breaks the note)
    [*:c6539]ability to have merged notes sync (currently, all merged notes in my db won't sync
    [*:c6539]guaranteed ability to have both clippers working in FF (currently, doesn't work for me; 3 clipper overwrites 2.2 clipper - supposedly a fix coming out soon.)
    [*:c6539]ability to have ALL of your data - I think there are currently artificial (or not) limits on what you can import in, and what you can sync - search forum for discussion; I can't remember the numbers

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. As a power user, I brought over about 500 notes and played with it. As far as I'm concerned EN3b to EN2.2 is like Windows Vista to Windows XP. I'm not moving any critical data over yet until things get straightened out.

That said, it's nice to have the automatic syncing. And the printing is better (but can't print from web version). And it look purty. But ready for power users? Meh.

P.S. Reading between the lines, yes, you can have both old and new running at the same time. In fact, you could run 2.2 on your desktop and just use the web version of 3, if you didn't feel like installing it locally. (But 2.2 and 3 don't talk to each other.)

Reading between the lines, yes, you can have both old and new running at the same time. In fact, you could run 2.2 on your desktop and just use the web version of 3, if you didn't feel like installing it locally. (But 2.2 and 3 don't talk to each other.)

I have found that by installing 3.0 with "Custom" options and NOT installing the clippers and then installing 2.2.1 WITH all its clippers gives me the best of both worlds -- a rather non-invasive install of EverNot3 to test and my complete 2.2.1 install to enjoy. YMMV.

• [*:a105f]saved searches and attributes don't behave as well when trying to do combinations, i.e., right now, no way to tell you exactly what notes are in Notebook A that were created yesterday - the created yesterday attribute gives you from all notebooks

The bug with Attributes not working in combination with selected notebook is is already fixed and will be available in the next update (post-.539)

• [*:a105f]ability to edit checkbox notes online (currently breaks the note)
    [*:a105f]ability to have merged notes sync (currently, all merged notes in my db won't sync)
    [*:a105f]guaranteed ability to have both clippers working in FF (currently, doesn't work for me; 3 clipper overwrites 2.2 clipper - supposedly a fix coming out soon.)

These three are already fixed in .539 build.

Reading between the lines, yes, you can have both old and new running at the same time. In fact, you could run 2.2 on your desktop and just use the web version of 3, if you didn't feel like installing it locally. (But 2.2 and 3 don't talk to each other.)

I have found that by installing 3.0 with "Custom" options and NOT installing the clippers and then installing 2.2.1 WITH all its clippers gives me the best of both worlds -- a rather non-invasive install of EverNot3 to test and my complete 2.2.1 install to enjoy. YMMV.

Just what I was waiting for. Thanks so much. So I have to figure out how to do a re-install of 2.2.1 after I load the 3.0 client? Not smooth.

BTW, I think EverNote should advertise to "the base" the fact that we can do this along with maybe a step-by-step description of the process. I'm probably not the first 2.2 user to get nervous about a 3.0 install somehow interfering with 2.2.

Archived