List Making Features

Sassicat

Idea

Hi 

One of the things  I really need (and use) across all my devices is a good list making app (that's synced).

But the ability to make really good lists doesn't seem to be a feature that's well covered by Evernote. A couple of suggestions:

1) The (free) app I currently use for my lists (not Evernote btw) is one where there is a tick box so I can 'tick' the items that have been completed, and then (the really clever bit) the 'ticked' items get moved automatically to the bottom of the page. This is such a great feature, as I can see clearly what tasks still remain, but I can also refer to those that are completed - without them being all muddled together. Such a simple, yet effective idea.

The lack of this feature is major reason why I don't use Evernote that much, why I have chosen not to keep my Evernote premium subscription, and why I'm not that bothered that I can only use Evernote across two devices with the basic Evernote offering. 

I would like to be able to keep my lists all within the same place.

2) I've been looking into the concept of the Bullet Journal (http://bulletjournal.com)

I love the idea, but would prefer a synced version I can use across my devices.

So Evernote, what about some sort of Bullet Journal* Template or Notebook that would fulfil this purpose? (*obviously set up in a way to avoid any copyright issues). It would be great to be able to create a custom template that I could re-use time and time again.

3) It would also be great to be able to create my own list making template. I usually divide a handwritten list for the week into 4 sections like this:

IN - do        

IN - phone, email, text

OUT - buy

OUT - do

I tried to set up a template to do this in Evernote, but it was too complicated, long winded and didn't work. 

If anyone could point out if I've missed something that could help me do these things in Evernote, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Sassicat said:

1) The (free) app I currently use for my lists (not Evernote btw) is one where there is a tick box so I can 'tick' the items that have been completed, and then (the really clever bit) the 'ticked' items get moved automatically to the bottom of the page. This is such a great feature, as I can see clearly what tasks still remain, but I can also refer to those that are completed - without them being all muddled together. Such a simple, yet effective idea.

The lack of this feature is major reason why I don't use Evernote that much, why I have chosen not to keep my Evernote premium subscription, and why I'm not that bothered that I can only use Evernote across two devices with the basic Evernote offering. 

I would like to be able to keep my lists all within the same place

I'd find it disconcerting to have items in my lists moved around.
Another concept is to hide completed items

>> 2) I've been looking into the concept of the Bullet Journal (http://bulletjournal.com)
 I love the idea, but would prefer a synced version I can use across my devices.
 So Evernote, what about some sort of Bullet Journal* Template or Notebook that would fulfil this purpose? (*obviously set up in a way to avoid any copyright issues). It would be great to be able to create a custom template that I could re-use time and time again.

You might be interested in http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-evernote-bullet-journal/
If I recall, entries are repeated into different views - daily, monthly etc
I'm thinking notes in Evernote can be viewed in different views using saved searches, tags and reminder date. This does require entries to be separate notes

>>I tried to set up a template to do this in Evernote, but it was too complicated, long winded and didn't work. 

What were your issues with templates? 
Evernote has nothing built in, but I successfully automated templates on my Mac, documented here
Even processed manually, I would recommend using templates

Thanks DTLow

The issue I had with Evernote in trying to make a template, is that you can't copy and paste tick boxes in Evernote - they have to be inserted by hand each time which is very time consuming and frankly a complete pain.

Without using the tick boxes there is no way of indicating clearly whether some thing been done. There isn't even the option within Evernote to be able to strike through text (as in MS Word for example), so there is no really quick and easy way to tick off a completed task, unless you add the tick boxes, or copy and paste the task and move it to the Completed section. The result is I just didn't use Evernote for lists. 

Whereas the list app I currently use is super quick and simple. You can select whether to have tick boxes or not, so its very straight forward. I can just copy and paste the basic list categories I use.

The facility to move "ticked' items to the bottom of the page is optional (again very quick and easy to select)  so I only use it when I want.

I find it great being able to move the 'ticked' off items to the bottom of the page, and it keeps my mind focussed on what's still to do, but there's still a visible record of what been achieved/completed (I don't want to hide them) and often I add notes/dates etc. so I know when something was actioned.

But I do appreciate that different things suit different people!

I have health issues which mean I have very limited energy, so I have to prioritise how I use my energy resources, and keep everything in my life super effective and hassle free.

The whole point of my suggestions to Evernote was to create less work/hassle for myself, not more. If the option to create list templates were built into Evernote I would consider it worth paying for, but as I tried to explain, to have to pay, AND have the hassle of learning how create templates, then for me it's really not worth the time or money.

Thanks for the suggestion of Apple Script. It's not something I've used before. If I get a chance I will have a play with it. I don't know if I did the right thing with the link you shared as all I got was a downloaded png. (?) But I will add it to my to do list!

With the Bullet journal link - again its the laboriousness of checking off completed items in Evernote that would deter me from trying to set up this up in Evernote - It would be easier to do in MS Word and keep it synced on Dropbox so I can use it across devices.

Thanks again for your comments - much appreciated ?

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Sassicat said:

The issue I had with Evernote in trying to make a template, is that you can't copy and paste tick boxes in Evernote - they have to be inserted by hand each time which is very time consuming and frankly a complete pain.

I just tried this sucessfully on my Mac
The example was a template full of check boxes
Command A to select all
Command C to copy

Create the new note
Command V to paste

Another method would be to menu option Duplicate Note

Hi the 'duplicate note' is very helpful - thanks.

If I copy and paste anything with the tick boxes in, it goes from the first attachment (below) ... to the second ... (and was the same with Evernote Premium), so slightly less than ideal. :-)

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 17.12.45.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 17.13.10.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Sassicat said:

Hi the 'duplicate note' is very helpful - thanks.

If I copy and paste anything with the tick boxes in, it goes from the first attachment (below) ... to the second ... (and was the same with Evernote Premium), so slightly less than ideal. :-)

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 17.13.10.png

Right, line breaks and checkboxes don't work well in the title

In your example, you pasted into the title :)

Archived