YIKES: Says the notebook is public...but it's not

Yikes-a-rooney. Just tried to paste a note link into another note, and got this:

"You are pasting a note link into a public notebook from a non-shared notebook. Viewers of the public notebook will not be able to access the note associated with this link."

The problem? This isn't supposed to be a public notebook.

When I view it in Notebooks, there's no mention of it being shared. What's going on...and...is the content of my account still secure? This rattles the willies out of me since I just updated to version 5.4.3 (402231) a couple of hours ago.

Please tell me this is a bug and not a security hole.

yglf7.jpg

• Level 5*

Yikes-a-rooney. Just tried to paste a note link into another note, and got this:

"You are pasting a note link into a public notebook from a non-shared notebook. Viewers of the public notebook will not be able to access the note associated with this link."

The problem? This isn't supposed to be a public notebook.

When I view it in Notebooks, there's no mention of it being shared. What's going on...and...is the content of my account still secure? This rattles the willies out of me since I just updated to version 5.4.3 (402231) a couple of hours ago.

Please tell me this is a bug and not a security hole.

yglf7.jpg

Hi. Can you go to your notebooks, click on the square with the arrow next to the notebook name, and take a screenshot of the dialog box that appears? What does it say? If it shows the notebook as shared, please cut out or hide that part from us so that you don't accidentally give us all the link! If it is not showing as shared, then this is just a dialog box bug of some kind (I guess).

Hi. Can you go to your notebooks, click on the square with the arrow next to the notebook name, and take a screenshot of the dialog box that appears? What does it say? If it shows the notebook as shared, please cut out or hide that part from us so that you don't accidentally give us all the link! If it is not showing as shared, then this is just a dialog box bug of some kind (I guess).

It doesn't show that it's shared--that was the first place I checked yesterday, after repeatedly getting the same error message.

My hope (hope hope hope) is that it's a dialogue bug, but there's nothing like seeing the word "public" in a notebook filled with non-public notes to get one's heart racing.

• Level 5*

It doesn't show that it's shared--that was the first place I checked yesterday, after repeatedly getting the same error message.

My hope (hope hope hope) is that it's a dialogue bug, but there's nothing like seeing the word "public" in a notebook filled with non-public notes to get one's heart racing.

I'd definitely contact support about this. Please let us know what they say about the problem.

• Level 5

I’ve been desperately trying to reproduce this, but I can’t. Is there anything special about the notebook?

I’ve tried local notebooks, business notebooks, notebooks shared with a single person, notebooks shared with multiple people, linked notebooks belonging to other people, notebook which were previously public...but they all either present no dialog or they present a different dialog. The only way I can get the dialog you saw is by pasting into a note in a public notebook.

I’ve been desperately trying to reproduce this, but I can’t. Is there anything special about the notebook?

I’ve tried local notebooks, business notebooks, notebooks shared with a single person, notebooks shared with multiple people, linked notebooks belonging to other people, notebook which were previously public...but they all either present no dialog or they present a different dialog. The only way I can get the dialog you saw is by pasting into a note in a public notebook.

Nothing unique or special, other than the fact it's one my most frequently referred to note (includes a checklist of apps on my MBA as I whittle down which are Mavericks-ready).

• Private note (has never been shared)

• Private notebook (has never been shared)

• Note has a Reminder attached (as do a dozen other notes, so that's not unusual)

I have no clue what triggered the alert. All I'd been doing was editing the content, then when I wanted to copy/paste another note's link into it :::boom!::: 

EN tells me the world is peering in to watch.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever get this resolved? I am noticing for the first time this occurring with my Evernote on one specific notebook that has never been shared. Needless to say it's freaking me out since it has sensitive stuff. Not private but definitely sensitive. Do you need a screenshot?

• Level 5

Nothing unique or special, other than the fact it's one my most frequently referred to note (includes a checklist of apps on my MBA as I whittle down which are Mavericks-ready).

• Private note (has never been shared)

• Private notebook (has never been shared)

• Note has a Reminder attached (as do a dozen other notes, so that's not unusual)

I have no clue what triggered the alert. All I'd been doing was editing the content, then when I wanted to copy/paste another note's link into it :::boom!::: 

EN tells me the world is peering in to watch.

PaperQueen,

Did you get a satisfactory response from Evernote?

I have not seen any posts on this issue since your November post.

Archived