(Archived) Top of Page Link?

Hi,

I have set up a tutorial notebook with class notes on programming.
I would like to use a "Top of Page" link on longer notes to save
users from finger fatigue from having to scroll so much.

In HTML this could be accomplished by simply using an anchor
and a link to the anchor:

An anchor at the top of the page:
<a name = "top"> </a>

And a link later in the page:
<a href= "#top"> text </a>

How could this be accomplished in Evernote?

Just copying the current page link and adding a link results in a link that remains

at the current position instead of going to the top of the note.
Does ENML have a way - I couldn't find any in the related online docs.

Thanks. totochto

• Level 5*

Hi,

I have set up a tutorial notebook with class notes on programming.

I would like to use a "Top of Page" link on longer notes to save

users from finger fatigue from having to scroll so much.

In HTML this could be accomplished by simply using an anchor

and a link to the anchor:

An anchor at the top of the page:

<a name = "top"> </a>

And a link later in the page:

<a href= "#top"> text </a>

How could this be accomplished in Evernote?

Just copying the current page link and adding a link results in a link that remains

at the current position instead of going to the top of the note.

Does ENML have a way - I couldn't find any in the related online docs.

Thanks. totochto

It's not possible at the moment. You could conceivably edit the .enml and then hack this into it, but I am not sure if it would work. On the Mac, just tap at the top of the scrollbar on the right and you'll leap right up to the top of the page. 

I had that idea too Gaz, didn't seem to work for me :(

That said, I was under the impression that this was not allowed via the ENML, but it does appear to be. It is a normal html element after all.

I just tested this by adding in an anchor into the ENML. It does appear to work.

It has to be done by manually editing the enml and adding it in. The easiest way to do this is to use the ENML Editor by schalker

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/19479-announcing-an-online-enml-editor/

A more complicated way, though not using a 3rd party tool would be to Export the note, and edit the ENML via a text editor and then import the note back in.

Scott

EDIT: For future reference if you want to delve into the ENML further:

http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php

• Level 5*

I had that idea too Gaz, didn't seem to work for me :(

That said, I was under the impression that this was not allowed via the ENML, but it does appear to be. It is a normal html element after all.

I just tested this by adding in an anchor into the ENML. It does appear to work.

It has to be done by manually editing the enml and adding it in. The easiest way to do this is to use the ENML Editor by schalker

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/19479-announcing-an-online-enml-editor/

A more complicated way, though not using a 3rd party tool would be to Export the note, and edit the ENML via a text editor and then import the note back in.

Scott

EDIT: For future reference if you want to delve into the ENML further:

http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/local/chapters/enml.php

Or, just tap the top of the scroll bar :)

Not all browsers work like this (IIRC when I used Firefox this was something I had to enable in the hidden prefs) and Windows doesn't work like this at all... :(

If I click where the scroll bar isn't, it moves towards it, but not directly to the place you clicked. (Which is stupid if you ask me because that is what the buttons are for.)

• Level 5*

Not all browsers work like this (IIRC when I used Firefox this was something I had to enable in the hidden prefs) and Windows doesn't work like this at all... :(

If I click where the scroll bar isn't, it moves towards it, but not directly to the place you clicked. (Which is stupid if you ask me because that is what the buttons are for.)

I'll amend my advice: Buy a Mac, use the native app, and tap the top of the scroll bar :)

Seriously, though, I don't think the OP was talking about Windows or the Web, was he? Ideally, I think we ought to have anchors in the text, not so much because I want to jump to the top (I am on a Mac, so that is easy), but because I want to jump to different sections of a note. This has been requested in the past, and it seems perfectly reasonable to me. I generally keep my notes short, but I do have some long ones, and it would be nice if I could navigate through them more quickly.

I'll amend my advice: Buy a Mac, use the native app, and tap the top of the scroll bar :)

I just wish this was a thing in Windows. That option to middle click the scroll bar in Firefox and have it jump to where I clicked is something I miss greatly when in chrome. It has become muscle memory at this point and I find myself doing the other middle click scroll all the time when I just want to jump to a specific point, but I digress... :P

Seriously, though, I don't think the OP was talking about Windows or the Web, was he? Ideally, I think we ought to have anchors in the text, not so much because I want to jump to the top (I am on a Mac, so that is easy), but because I want to jump to different sections of a note. This has been requested in the past, and it seems perfectly reasonable to me. I generally keep my notes short, but I do have some long ones, and it would be nice if I could navigate through them more quickly.

As someone who also has a public notebook with some rather long notes, with separate sections that I would like to refer to, I will be making use of this and also hoping for it to be added at some point in the future.
  • Level 5

Or you could just press the Home key (fn-left on MacBooks) which seems to work in all the Mac and Windows browsers I've tried as well as the Mac Client.

Archived