(Archived) Are Non-Premium users able to edit the shared notebooks of Premium users

Hi. First time asking a question on this forum. I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I'd like to know if you only need to have your own account have a premium membership in order to have shared notebooks be editable by other users who don't have Evernote. The situation I am in is that I would like to be able to share documentation with an off-site customer of mine while we develop a product. It would be beneficial to share the development notes and also have the customer add to those same notes when they make changes on their end. I have an Evernote account (And I'm considering upgrading to Premium), but the customer does not. If I upgrade to the Premium and share a notebook to their e-mail address, will they be able to edit the documents I add to the notebook? Do they need to have an Evernote account as well? Would they have to also have a Premium account?

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the Forums. Short answer - Yes. As a premium user (and only as a Prem user) you can allow someone else not only access to your notes, but also editing rights. It's best if they're Evernote users too, because then you can restrict access to the notes; the option would be to share these notes with everyone and just give your clients the URL. Before you (and they) get too carried away, I'd recommend a test with a friendly native at your client, just to make sure that things work out how you expect. Do beware that there's a 'sync delay' - changes each of you make will take time to spread via the web, so if there's a chance two or more people will want to look at these notes and change them at the same time, you could be heading into trouble. Hope that helps..

• Level 5*
The situation I am in is that I would like to be able to share documentation with an off-site customer of mine while we develop a product. It would be beneficial to share the development notes and also have the customer add to those same notes when they make changes on their end.

IMO this is a dangerous approach that could not only compromise the project, but result in loss of your customer.

Evernote is not really designed as a collaboration tool. Although there is an "Activity Log/Feed", there is no information on the Note record itself to keep track of who made the last change. And there is no revision history.

So this could easily lead to a difficult situation with your customer if information is accidentally (or purposefully) changed or deleted, and then disputes arise.

I would recommend something like DropBox and MS Word.

DropBox provides you with version control (& backup/restore), and Word tracks the exact changes made by each user.

If you want or need a more full-featured collaboration tool, you might consider Confluence:

Take a look at Confluence from Atlassian, it is a web based wiki and so available from any device with a browser. They offer it hosted or you can do it yourself. From memory it's very cheap for small teams.

Wow! Based on the overview video this looks like a great tool! Something that my teams can use.

Thanks for the suggestion, Metrodon.

• Level 5*

When it comes to collaboration, Confluence is the product that I judge Evernote against. A little unfair perhaps, but the reality is that if I wanted to implement Evernote in my company then it would have to be at least as good if not better than Confluence and I'm sure the Evernote team would agree that the product is nowhere near at the moment.

Archived