Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

location information

location map evernote

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 array

array

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

In the Evernote for Windows, how can I get the location for the notes. Should I install the Google Map first? ( I do not wanna fill in the Choose location blank.)

#2 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

The Evernote Windows location feature is not ready for prime time. You'll be wasting your time if you try to use it.

The only way to use it efficiently is with a GPS location enabled mobile device such as the iPhone (but then you are faced with restricted text entry)

#3 logandb

logandb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:31 AM

Although perhaps a little tedious, I determine my location information on the desktop using Google Maps with the 'LatLng Marker' tool from Maps Labs. I have a note with my most common locations that I can simply cut and paste into notes as I create them.

-> David.
Melbourne, Australia
EN for Windows and Android

#4 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Although perhaps a little tedious, I determine my location information on the desktop using Google Maps with the 'LatLng Marker' tool from Maps Labs. I have a note with my most common locations that I can simply cut and paste into notes as I create them.

Be careful with the results. I tried that process about a year ago and even though I used the most accurate Longitude and Latitude information, Evernote consistently located the spot (my home) about 6 miles away to my town center. A fellow in Germany reported the same sort of problem. I have seen no mention of any improvement or Bug Fix by Evernote since then.

#5 logandb

logandb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

Yes, I remember you mentioning that in a post some time ago. I haven't had any problems with this at all, although I wish the feature was a little better developed.

-> David.
Melbourne, Australia
EN for Windows and Android

#6 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

I just retried the longitude and latitude numbers (the ones I saved in Evernote back in February 2011).

And they work correctly and accurately now.

#7 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

I just retried the longitude and latitude numbers (the ones I saved in Evernote back in February 2011).

And they work correctly and accurately now.

Ahh. Another surprise from the wonderful world of unspecified "Bug fixes.".
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#8 markgunn

markgunn

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

If you have Windows 7 you can install a free software location sensor called Geosense (http://geosenseforwindows.com/). It uses Google Geo location Services for WIFI and IP. Not perfect, but at least introduces baseline automatic location capability.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, location, map, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote