How Evernote Could Turn me into a Paying Customer

Evernote keeps nagging me to upgrade, and it hasn't worked so far.

Reasons Evernote thinks I want to upgrade:

*) Clip from Web/Email/Whatever (Don't care)

*) Get X GB of bandwidth (I use about about 1MB, not GB per month)

*) Passcode (My devices already have a passcode/password)

*) Make presentations and Business cards (Don't care)

*) Bigger notes (Don't care.  My biggest is about 100KB)

What I want:

*) Offline support (Nice to have, but I already have internet most places I go)

*) History (Important, so a cat sitting on the keyboard, or other typo won't delete my note's contents)

*) For the app to stop nagging me to upgrade (It's getting REALLY old to be nagged to upgrade to 10GB of bandwidth when I'm using 1% of 60MB)

The really silly part, is that Evernote can already guess that I don't want what it's trying to sell.  The program can see that I've got a couple megs of text notes, tops, and that I (literally) max out at about 2MB per month of data transfers.  How does it help Evernote to nag me to buy stuff you can see I don't seem to want?

Anyway... I don't want most of what you're trying to sell, but if you offered to stop nagging me, and a simplified history (enough to rollback accidentally wiping a note), I'd be willing to pay 12$ a year, and it's not like I'm using up much bandwidth/storage on your servers.  Even better, it would be pretty easy for the app itself to guess what tiers are best to try to sell to which people.

Just a thought

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, PatMo said:

...I don't want most of what you're trying to sell, but if you offered to stop nagging me, and a simplified history (enough to rollback accidentally wiping a note), I'd be willing to pay 12$ a year, and it's not like I'm using up much bandwidth/storage on your servers.  Even better, it would be pretty easy for the app itself to guess what tiers are best to try to sell to which people.

As part of the paid package, Evernote does offer access to a fairly simple note history 

A downside is that the note history is deleted if the note gets deleted. For this reason, I maintain my own note history as part of my backup procedures.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

As part of the paid package, Evernote does offer access to a fairly simple note history 

A downside is that the note history is deleted if the note gets deleted. For this reason, I maintain my own note history as part of my backup procedures.

Ouch!  I'd thought history would be available for deleted notes.

My original point though was that I'm not willing to pay 50$/year just for history and removing the "nag".  I know history is a Premium feature.  Not just "Plus".

• Level 5

Perhaps irrelevant, and only intended to report my own reasoning, not criticize anyone else's, but I used Evernote for free for a year or so, and I realized that it was working well for me and I was using it every day for serious work. At that point, it seemed only fair to me to go ahead and subscribe. $50/year is steep, and I'm not a fan of the subscription-software model. But EN is worth it, to me. It might be better if they had a "low-charge/low-function" and "high-charge/high function" version for people who don't or do need certain features.

Basically, my thinking is that free stuff is great if there are people who can afford to give it away; stuff that's "free" because ads or my personal info are paying for it (:cough: Google :cough:) is not so great; so I'd rather pay for stuff I really use if that enables its creators to make a living and keep developing it. Besides, it's tax-deductible as a business expense ;).

Archived