OCR copy/paste

Hello,

I have seen this topic a few times before, and would just like to ask what status and future is for text extracting features in Evernote.

I/We are huge kanban board users, and when meetings ends, we take a picture of the wall and send it to Evernote. From there it is a manual
rewrite of the entire thing.
It would be a really big timesaver, when OCR has done its work, to have the text underneath the pictures (or something similar)

I know there will be scanning word errors etc. But that can be manually corrected. It would still be a huge timesaver, when having to copy/paste
into other applications, instead of having to write the entire thing, all over again.

Since evernote already has the scanned text available, why not make it "public" in the note?
It would be a really a HUGE help.

Kind regards...Jan

• Level 5

As you say, this comes up a lot. I'm not an Evernote techie, but I'm not sure that EN does actually have the scanned text available. Here's an article that explains their "scanning" process: http://blog.evernote.com/tech/2013/07/18/how-evernotes-image-recognition-works/. Basically, it makes multiple guesses at individual words and makes these available for search, but does not convert the image to truly scanned, editable text (if I'm understanding it right).

• Level 5*
On May 26, 2016 at 2:12 AM, JanHL said:

I have seen this topic a few times before, and would just like to ask what status and future is for text extracting features in Evernote.

I/We are huge kanban board users, and when meetings ends, we take a picture of the wall and send it to Evernote. From there it is a manual
rewrite of the entire thing.
It would be a really big timesaver, when OCR has done its work, to have the text underneath the pictures (or something similar)

I know there will be scanning word errors etc. But that can be manually corrected. It would still be a huge timesaver, when having to copy/paste
into other applications, instead of having to write the entire thing, all over again.

Since evernote already has the scanned text available, why not make it "public" in the note?
It would be a really a HUGE help.

As @Dave-in-Decatur mentioned, even if Evernote made their OCR available, it wouldn't be too useable.  It is currently used as a search tool.

If you post this in the feedback forum, it can be better addressed as a feature request. Or let me know which platform you use and I can move the discussion

You might want to see what external apps are available.  

For example, Scanner Pro has an an OCR feature.  
It produces a pdf which can be sent to Evernote, and then the text can be copy/paste and edited, but the OCR is a less functional than Evernote

Archived