Desktop Application: progressive multiple selection

Hi. I am trying to work through a long list of notes selecting particular and then moving the whole selection over to a different notebook. It is proving very slow and unproductive due to two problems:

1. There is no way to select a note and then move on to another note while keeping the first note selected. I can select a second note using Ctrl-click but I cannot examine the second note closely because to fully select it I have to lose the old selection.

2. If I select one note and drag it to another notebook, my position in the original list is maintained. If however I select two or more notes and drag them to a new notebook, my position in the first list jumps to the top. This is super-frustrating when working my way through a few hundred notes. The notes I want to select and move are typically in sequences of 2 to 6. I really get the feeling that the people programing the interface do not use it themselves in any serious way!

• Level 5*

Mass moving can be a pain.  Windows desktop option. 

You could try assigning a temporary tag to the notes you want to move.  Highlight each group of notes, use Ctrl-Alt-T to get the Assign Tag dialog, add the tag.  Do this until you have all the notes tagged and then do a search for that tag, highlight all the notes, Ctrl-A if you like, move them to the other notebook, then delete the temporary tag.  FWIW.

Thanks but unfortunately that doesn't help because there is still no way to examine a subsequent note after selecting the first one, without losing the selection. Unless you mean I should apply the tag to each note indivually using Ctrl-Alt-T. The work-around I found was to create two destination folders and then move every note out of the original folder. That way at least when I do move multiple note the change fact that it scrolls up to the top isn't a problem. Then at the end, I move everything from the temporary folder back to the original. I note that you are a community guru - but have you got anything to do with Evernote? Will they even see my post? Thanks.

• Level 5*

I should have said in my first reply that you can double click the first note to open it in its own window.  Then you can look at other notes, assuming enough screen for the two windows.  At that point you could either add the temp tag or just use the notebook drop down in the note header to move the note.

Yeah, Guru is not a name I gave myself.  Anyway, EN employees do read the forums and should see your post.  If you want to submit a bug report you can do that here - https://evernote.com/contact/support/ticket/.  If popping to the top is a "feature" then you can post an idea in that forum, https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/224-windows-desktop-product-feedback/, where it can receive votes.

I agree with you, it makes no sense to me that the position in the list moves after a mass move.  Nor another note and note list "feature" where clicking on a shortcut to a note in the shortcut bar brings up the note in the note window but not visible in the note list.  Second one doesn't have much impact, but still.

Now that I understand better, my bad in the first case, if I had to look at each note to determine to move it or not, I would probably add the temp tag as I cycled the list and then move them all at the end based on that tag.  Or, to manage to the list I could add a Dont.move tag and modify my search with a -tag:dont.move, apply the dont.move tag to notes not to move, and when I got to the bottom of the list be able to review again before the actual move.  Just thoughts.  It sounds like you have found a method that fits your eye so go with what feels best.

Archived