Annotation summary in NON-PDF? How about Search within PDF annotation?

Looking to use a few of the EN annotation features in premium.  Could of questions:

1) Any way to view a summary of NON pdf annotations?  Like highlights?  Would be nice to see instantly in a note from the webclipper what annotations or highlights I added, without having to turn it into a PDF.  Turning it into PDF takes away all the cool text based features, animated gifs, live links, etc., so it's not the ideal workaround.  Plus, no option to capture a webclip as PDF any how, right?  

2) PDF annotations:  Can't search for text while annotating a PDF.  Am I missing something?  Pretty difficult to look for a specific word in a 72 page PDF document you want to find to annotate around.  

• Level 5*

Hi.  On your points -

1) If you want to clip a web page it should be easily possible to do so,  and depending on what OS and browser you use,  you may have some options to highlight and globally annotate (make comments on) the entire page - have a look at your Clipper options,  and maybe look at Evernote Clearly (which is a clipper variant) which had some inline text markup possibilities.  If you can add comments in the browser (or clearly),  you should be able to clip them.  If you clip first,  then you're (normally) converting live HTML into Evernote's display language so you can still see the web page the way it looked online.  That doesn't play well with ad-hoc editing later.  The only way to get access to the content is to print the page in PDF - and then change the PDF.  Evernote doesn't provide the means to do that - but printing the web page should be easily available from the page (or the browser) itself,  and many utilities will 'print' to PDF files.  Your other option (if you're clipping text and not pictures) is to 'simplify formatting' in the note, to get rid of any non-standard layout.  You should then be able to add highlights and insert text.

2) If you want to change or add text to a specific word or words,  use a PDF editor not the annotation feature.  The built in feature is to add graphics.  Note content can be searched,  but the search highlights aren't repeated in the annotation windows.  Another more fully featured editor will combine both.

• Level 5*
On 1/11/2016 at 11:36 AM, oldgreg said:

1) Any way to view a summary of NON pdf annotations?  Like highlights?  Would be nice to see instantly in a note from the webclipper what annotations or highlights I added, without having to turn it into a PDF.

No.  None that I know of.

On 1/11/2016 at 11:36 AM, oldgreg said:

2) PDF annotations:  Can't search for text while annotating a PDF

For this reason, and many others, I do NOT use the Evernote annotation tool.  I use Adobe Acrobat, but there are a number of good, inexpensive, 3rd party PDF tools that would allow you to search for text, and then highlight what you have found.

Archived